These nut free Chocolate Fudge Thumbprint Cookies are soft, chewy and filled with a creamy dark chocolate fudge. This Paleo cookie recipe is Vegan and allergy friendly.
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (34g)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (95g)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (just the cream from a can of full fat coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine sunflower seeds, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt in a food processor. Blend mixture to a coarse flour.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor. Blend until the dough clumps together to form a ball in (see process photos)**
- Use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop the dough. Roll it into a ball, flatten into a disc and then place the dough on a parchment-lined baking pan. Use your thumb to indent the middle of the cookie, making room for the fudge later on.
- Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies and cool to room temperature.
- When cookies have cooled, make the fudge filling. In a small sauce pan, melt the chocolate chips and coconut cream over low heat. Once melted, turn off the heat and place the pan in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to firm. The fudge needs to thicken before it can be placed on top of the cookies.
- When the fudge is ready, spread it on the cookies. You can either do this with a spoon or place the fudge in a plastic baggie and pipe it onto the cookies (I piped it).
- Place the cookies in the fridge for the fudge to fully set (another 30 or so minutes).
*tapioca flour is optional - it is used for texture purposes, making the cookies softer and the dough more pliable. You may omit the tapioca flour and reduce the water from 2 to 1 tablespoon.
**omitting the tapioca flour will result in a different dough texture. The dough will not clump as well when blending.
Keywords: paleo thumbprint cookies, vegan cookies, chocolate fudge cookies, allergy friendly dessert, nut free cookies, dairy free fudge, date sweetened cookies, healthy dessert