These chocolate zucchini donuts are vegan, paleo and gluten free. They are moist and tender and taste just like a chocolate brownie!
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (65g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter (127g)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour (50g)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (30g)
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used 72% dark)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (room temp)*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease the silicone donut pans with oil or butter (I used avocado oil).
- Make the donuts: In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded zucchini, almond butter, maple syrup, water and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Melt the dark chocolate. Place the dark chocolate in a small sauce pan. Heat on the stove top, over low heat, stirring frequently. Pour the dark chocolate into the donut batter and mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into a large plastic ziplock bag. Cut a large hole on one end of the bag and then pipe the batter into the donut molds. Each donut slot should be filled about 3/4 full, making 7-9 donuts.
- Place the silicone donut pans on a baking sheet. Then place them in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes.
- Cool the donuts in the pan for 5-10 minutes before removing. Then, place them on a wire cooling rack**
- Make the Icing: Place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Melt on the stove top, over low heat.
- Mix in the coconut cream and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing in a small bowl, one that's just a bit bigger than each donut. Dip each donut into the icing.
- Place the donuts back on the wire cooling rack and top with sprinkles (or your favorite donut toppings).
*just the cream from a can of full fat coconut milk or cream
**Because of the dark chocolate, the donuts will slightly harden when cold. I recommend popping them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes before icing them.
Keywords: chocolate zucchini donuts, zucchini donut recipe, gluten free chocolate zucchini donuts, gluten free donut recipe, vegan zucchini donuts, paleo zucchini donuts, paleo donut recipe, almond flour chocolate donuts, healthy dessert recipes