These crispy baked hash browns are made with potatoes and onion, baked in the oven and great as a side to breakfast or dinner.
- 3-4 Russet potatoes
- 1/4 onion
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease a baking sheet with avocado oil, or instead line the pan with parchment paper*
- Wash the potatoes and remove the outer papery skin of the onion. Then, use a cheese grater to grate the potatoes and onion.
- Put the grated potatoes and onion in a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can.
- Discard the liquid and place the shredded potato and onion into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon avocado oil, salt and pepper. Once well combined, use a large cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons) to scoop the mixture. Form it into hash brown patties and place on the prepared baking sheet. You should get about 14 hash browns, depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Place the hash browns into the preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the hash browns, flip them and cook about 15-20 minutes more.
- After baking, top the hash browns with flaky salt, cool slightly and serve.
I used Russet potatoes, but have also tested this recipe with Yukon Gold and Red potatoes - both work great.
Red, white, yellow or sweet onions are great for this recipe.
*I've tried baking these both ways. I feel like the hash browns get crispier with a greased baking sheet (rather than parchment), but they are harder to remove from the pan.
Keywords: crispy baked hash browns, crispy hash browns recipe, paleo hash browns, whole30 hash browns, vegan hash browns, easy hash browns recipe, healthy hash browns recipe