This gluten free apple cranberry crisp has a gooey apple and cranberry filling topped with an almond flour crumble. This recipe is paleo, gluten free, dairy free and easily made nut free and/or vegan.
Cranberry Apple Filling
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 3 cups thinly sliced pink lady apples (315g)
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11"x7" or 8" square baking dish with shortening (or butter) and set aside.
- Make the filling: Rinse the cranberries, pat them dry and then place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse the apples, then slice them into thin pieces. There is no need to remove the skin (I didn't), but you may peel your apples if you prefer.
- Place the apples in the mixing bowl with the cranberries. Then, drizzle the fruit with honey, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Mix with a spatula.
- Sprinkle on the tapioca flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir the mixture with a spatula until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the greased baking dish.
- Make the crumble topping: Combine the almond flour, shredded coconut, tapioca flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the shortening, honey and cinnamon. First, mix the ingredients with a for or spatula, then use your hands to combine the dough. Fold the walnut pieces in to the dough
- Crumble the topping over the filling, press down lightly with your hands.
- Bake: Place the cranberry crumble in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Cool: Remove crumble from oven, cool in pan to warm temperature.
- Store covered in fridge, up to one week.
Keywords: cranberry apple crisp, gluten free apple cranberry crisp, paleo cranberry crisp, grain free crisp, fruity winter dessert, cranberry recipes, egg free cranberry crisp, healthy apple cranberry crisp