These healthy sweet potato waffles are light and crispy and great with sweet or savory toppings. They're paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free and unsweetened.
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (125g)*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (40g)
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place a wire cooling rack in your oven and preheat your oven to 275 degrees F.
- Plug in your waffle iron to preheat it. I used a mini waffle iron, but any type should work.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together mashed sweet potato, eggs and avocado oil.
- Whisk in tapioca starch, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Pour 2-3 tablespoons of the waffle batter onto the preheated waffle iron. Cook until golden brown and crispy. You'll want to cook the waffles a little longer than normal to get them extra crisp (3-4 minutes).
- Remove the waffle from the waffle iron and place it on the wire cooling rack in your preheated oven to keep crisp.
- Once all of the waffles have been cooked, remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
*For the mashed sweet potato, cut an orange sweet potato into cubes and steam in a steamer pot until tender (using a baked sweet potato is fine too). Cool to room temperature, then place the sweet potato in a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. You may remove the skin after steaming, but I did not.
Keywords: healthy sweet potato waffles, paleo sweet potato waffles, no sugar sweet potato waffles, savory sweet potato waffles, gluten free sweet potato waffles, crispy sweet potato waffles