Healthy, homemade Protein Snickers Bars with an almond-protein nougat, dairy free caramel, chopped almonds and a dark chocolate coating.
- 1/2 cup almond butter (no-stir, unsalted, unsweetened)*
- 1/2 cup pea protein (54g)**
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- flaked sea salt (optional)
- Make the Nougat: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the almond butter, pea protein, maple syrup and salt. Mix to the best of your ability, then add the water one tablespoon at a time until dough has reached a play dough-like consistency.***
Firmly press the nougat layer into a lined 8" x 4" baking pan.
- Make the Caramel: Place all ingredients for the caramel in a small sauce pan. Set the pan on the stove top and turn the heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring every so often.
Boil for 6-7 minutes, stirring constantly with a spatula. While stirring, use the spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan so that the caramel doesn't burn.
After 6-7 minutes of boiling, the mixture should have browned and slightly thickened.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring every so often. When done, the caramel will be golden brown and thick.
Cool the caramel for 5 minutes, then pour it onto the nougat layer. Use the spatula to spread the caramel to the sides, covering the entire nougat.
- Add the Chopped Almonds: Chop almonds, sprinkle over the caramel, then lightly press them into the caramel layer.
- Freeze: Freeze overnight or at least 2 hours for the caramel to fully set.
- Coat in Dark Chocolate: Melt the chocolate and coconut oil by placing them in a small sauce pan and melting over low heat, stirring frequently.
Once fully melted, remove the chocolate from the heat and grab the snickers bars from the freezer. Cut the bars into 8 equal pieces.
Dip each bar into the melted chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking pan to set.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
*May substitute with any type of almond butter/nut butter but depending on the consistency you may need more or less water.
**I used Nuzest unflavored pea protein (discount code "bakeitpaleo"). Any protein powder should work as a replacement, but the quantity of water needed may change.
***When mixing, first use a spatula, then use your hands to knead the dough. You'll know you have enough water when the nougat layer is holding together (not crumbly) and has a play dough-like texture.
Keywords: snickers, candy bars, Paleo candy bar, dessert, Halloween, no bake, dairy free caramel, peanut free, Vegan