Healthy, Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes made with almond flour and sweetened with coconut sugar. Extremely moist, tender and easy to make - the perfect cupcake for any celebration or family gathering.
- 1 + 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (150g)*
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (38g)*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (30g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (80g)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water (room temp)
Coconut Cream Frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients. This includes the eggs, avocado oil, vanilla and water. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a lined muffin pan. Each cupcake is about 1/4 cup batter, making 12 cupcakes.
- Pace the cupcake in the oven (middle rack) and bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
- After baking, let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Coconut Cream Frosting
- Whisk together coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add in tapioca flour, whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate frosting for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove frosting from fridge, stir and then frost cooled cupcakes***
- Store frosted cupcakes in fridge.
*I recommend sifting the flours to remove any clumps
**You will need 2 cans of full fat coconut milk. Use just the cream, not the liquid coconut milk.
***I placed the frosting in a plastic baggie, cut a hole in one end and piped it onto the cupcakes.
Keywords: chocolate cupcakes, paleo cupcakes, almond flour recipes, kid approved, gluten free dairy free, dessert