These gluten free magic cookie bars are paleo, vegan and have 7 magical layers. They consist of an almond flour shortbread crust topped with layers of nuts, coconut, dark chocolate and are finished with a maple caramel sauce.
- 1 + 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (170g)
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening*
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk**
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8"x8" glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Make the shortbread crust: combine blanched almond flour, non-hydrogenated shortening, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl. The dough will seem too dry at first, but keep working it (using your hands works well) until the mixture is homogeneous and can be rolled into a ball. Firmly press the crust into the lined baking pan.
- Add the Middle Layers: Layer chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, slivered almonds, flaked coconut and chocolate chips on top of the crust.
- Make the Caramel Topping: combine coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a small sauce pan. Put the pan on your stove top and set heat to medium-high. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Continue cooking on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently***
- Reduce heat to medium and cook caramel for another 8-12 minutes, stirring frequently. Once done, the caramel will be a golden brown color and have a slightly thicker texture (not goopy).
- Pour the caramel over the middle layers, coating the entire dish.
- Bake Cookie Bars: Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. The coconut should slightly brown around the edges.
- Cool Cookie Bars: Cool the bars in the pan to room temperature. For best results, place bars in the fridge overnight prior to cutting.
*Can sub coconut oil
**Be sure to use full fat coconut milk. Shake the can prior to use to mix together the cream and liquid. If it is still separated, mix the cream and liquid together in a large bowl prior to using.
***I recommend using a spatula to stir the mixture. You want to scrape the edges and bottom of the sauce pan so that the caramel doesn't burn.
Keywords: magic cookie bars, healthy magic cookie bars, 7 layer bars, paleo seven layer bars, paleo vegan cookie bars, vegan magic cookie bars, healthy dessert recipe