These grain free, no-bake cookie bars are great for a refreshing treat. They're colored with spirulina, have a soft chocolate cookie base and a sweet mint chip filling.
- 1 cup blanched almond flour, packed (135 g)
- 1/3 cup cacao powder (36 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with aluminum foil, set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all crust ingredients, mix well.
- Transfer the crust dough to the lined baking pan and press firmly into place making a level, even crust.
- For the filling, slightly melt the coconut cream in either your microwave or on the stove top so that it is soft and just barely melted*
- Add the melted coconut cream to a medium sized mixing bowl, along with all other filling ingredients (except chocolate chips) and mix with a hand held whisk or fork until batter is smooth.
- Add in chocolate chips, stir.
- Pour filling over crust. (You may add a few additional chocolate chips on top of the filling for decoration.)
- Place bars in freezer for at least an hour to properly set. Or place in fridge overnight.
- Remove cookie bars from pan and cut into 16 even squares.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
*Be sure to use just the the cream (not the milk) from a can of full fat coconut milk. It is important to slightly melt/soften the coconut cream prior to mixing with other ingredients or else the filling texture won't turn out quite right. Cold coconut cream likes to clump and separate, but mixes well when slightly warmed.
**I used peppermint flavor for this recipe, which is a mixture of organic sunflower oil and organic peppermint. If you're using a peppermint extract or essential oil then try adding a drop or two at a time until you get the right amount of mint flavor, as they have a much stronger taste.
Keywords: no bake, vegan, dessert, spirulina, summer recipes