Paleo Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies! These are a nut free, Paleo version of the classic Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. A crisp, tigernut flour mint-chocolate cookie, coated in dark chocolate.
- 1 cup tigernut flour (82g) sifted, spooned & leveled
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (20g) sifted, spooned & leveled
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring*
- tapioca flour (for rolling dough)
- 1 + 1/3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp peppermint flavoring
- Make the Cookie Dough: combine tigernut flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in shortening, egg, vanilla and peppermint. Mix the dough with a spatula until it has a smooth, consistent texture. (The dough is thick and sticky.)
- Refrigerate cookie dough for 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll & Cut Cookies: After chilling, grab the cookie dough from the fridge, along with two sheets of parchment paper, a rolling pin and the tapioca flour.
- Dust one sheet of parchment with tapioca flour. Form the cookie dough into a ball and flatten on top of the parchment. Dust the dough with tapioca flour, then place the other sheet of parchment paper on top. Use the rolling pin to roll the cookie dough between the sheets of parchment. The cookies should be about 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment and cut out small circles. This can be done with a small, circular cookie cutter or a shot glass. Place the cut out cookies on a lined baking sheet. (They don't spread much, so they can be baked close together.)
- Continue rolling and cutting the cookie dough until it's all been used up. Remember to dust the parchment and dough with tapioca flour each time.
- Bake Cookies: bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 10 minutes**
- Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Dip Cookies in Chocolate: In a small sauce pan, melt the chocolate, coconut oil and peppermint flavoring over low heat.
- Grab the cookies and dip them, one at a time into the melted chocolate. Place them on a sheet of parchment paper to dry.
- After all of the cookies have been dipped, put them in the fridge or freezer so the chocolate coating fully sets.
*I use peppermint flavoring instead of extract. Peppermint extract is much stronger in flavor, so adjust accordingly if that's what you're using.
**Baking time will vary slightly depending on the thickness of the cookies. You want them baked long enough so that they get crisp when cooled, but not too long that they burn. If the cookies are rolled to 1/8" thick, 10 minutes will be good, a thicker cookie will require more baking time.
Keywords: mint chocolate cookies, Paleo Thin Mint Cookies, Nut Free Paleo Cookies, dairy free cookies, chocolate dipped cookies, gluten free thin mints, girl scout cookies