These healthy Sweet Potato Carrot Cake Bars are nutritious enough for breakfast or enjoyed as a healthy dessert. They are Paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free and nut free.
For the Cake
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (250g)*
- 1 cup grated carrot (100g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cassava flour (53g)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
For the Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the Cake: Combine mashed sweet potato, grated carrot, eggs, honey and vanilla in your food processor or high powered blender. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Blend, stopping ever so often to scrape the sides, until the batter has a smooth, thick texture.
- Scoop batter into a parchment lined 8″ x 8″ glass baking pan. Use a spatula to spread the batter to the sides of the pan, creating an even, level layer.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- Make the Frosting: In a small bowl, whisk together shortening, maple syrup and vanilla*** Whisk in tapioca flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Whisk until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
- Cut and serve.
- Best stored in fridge up to one week.
*For the mashed sweet potato: wash sweet potato (I used Japanese sweet potato) and cut into cubes (no need to remove skin). Place in a steamer pot and steam until tender. Cool to room temperature (or overnight in the fridge) prior to using.
**These bars are mildly sweet. Feel free to add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup for a sweeter taste.
***If the shortening is too hard/thick, then slightly warm it in the microwave. Just 5 seconds should do it!
Keywords: sweet potato, nut free, dessert, Paleo, carrot cake, carrot bars, gluten free, dairy free, easy