Simple, decadent Coconut Butter Bars with an almond and pecan crust, layer of coconut butter, layer of date caramel and topped with dark chocolate.
- Crust: In food processor, combine all crust ingredients. Blend to a coarse, sticky mixture.
- Remove crust from food processor and firmly press into a lined 8" x 8" square baking dish.
- Layer 1: Pour coconut butter over crust. Place in freezer to firm.
- Layer 2: Put dates in food processor (make sure to remove pits) and blend until a thick paste forms.
- Grab the bars from the freezer and spread layer 2 on top of layer 1.
- Topping: Place chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan and melt over low heat, on the stove top. Stir frequently until chocolate is fully melted.
- Remove chocolate from heat, pour over layer 2 and sprinkle coconut flakes on top.
- Place in fridge to firm.
*Melt coconut butter in microwave at 10 second intervals. Or, melt it by submerging the jar in a hot water bath.
**You want to use soft dates. If they are rock hard (older or from the fridge), warm them in the microwave for a few seconds. Another option is to submerge them in boiling water for a couple minutes, then drain the water completely before processing them.
Keywords: coconut butter bars, cookie bars, no bake, vegan, egg free, paleo dessert, vegan dessert, layer bars, coconut bars