Sickness has hit us hard this winter. And, although I don't usually tend to be affected by what my kids get, I haven't managed to escape the runny nose, fever, chills and worst of all sinus issues. As if that wasn't bad enough, I lost my sense of taste as well. Which, if you love baking as I do is a major disappointment and inconvenience! So, as soon as my ability to taste started re-emerging, I was all too eager to return to the kitchen and whip up something sweet. Insert: Paleo and Vegan friendly Coconut Butter Bars.
These bars were just what I needed to satisfy my sugar cravings once I could finally enjoy food again. They are absolutely amazing; a nutty crust, layers of coconut butter and date caramel and topped with extra dark chocolate and flaked coconut.
These Coconut Butter Bars are Paleo and Vegan friendly, grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free and don't require any baking! Needless to say, my taste buds were in heaven after not having been able to taste for a week.
How to Make Coconut Butter Bars
These bars are made layer by layer, starting with the crust.
First, combine all crust ingredients in a food processor. Blend until the mixture becomes a course, sticky dough.
For Layer 1: simply melt coconut butter and pour it over the crust. Place it in the freezer to harden.
For Layer 2: Add pitted Medjool dates to food processor and blend until a thick paste forms. Spread the date paste over the hardened coconut butter layer.
Lastly, add the topping. Do this by melting dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan over low heat. Stir frequently until the chocolate is fully melted then pour over Layer 2.
Place in fridge or freezer to set, then cut into 16 pieces.
Store in fridge.
Not only did I love these bars, but my son and husband approved too! My 3 year old can be pretty picky when it comes to desserts and baked goods, but he ate these multiple times!
Simple, decadent Coconut Butter Bars with an almond and pecan crust, layer of coconut butter, layer of date caramel and topped with dark chocolate.
- In food processor, combine all ingredients for crust. Blend until mixture becomes a course, sticky flour.
- Firmly press crust into a lined 8" x 8" baking dish.
- For layer 1, melt coconut butter and pour over crust. Place in freezer to harden.
- For layer 2, place Medjool dates in food processor (make sure to remove pits) and blend until a thick paste forms.
- Spread layer 2 on top of layer 1.
- For the topping, place chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan and melt on low heat on your stove top. Stir frequently until chocolate is fully melted.
- Remove chocolate from heat, pour over layer 2 and sprinkle coconut flakes on top. Place in fridge or freezer for chocolate to set.
- Remove from fridge/freezer, cut and serve.
- Store in fridge.
Keywords: coconut butter bars, cookie bars, no bake, vegan, egg free, dessert