These coconut flour sugar cookies are miniature cut-out cookies made from coconut flour and dipped in dark chocolate. These cookies are egg free, nut free and dairy free!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (56g)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (65g)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax (11g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional)*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate
- Combine the coconut flour, coconut sugar, ground flax, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in the shortening, vanilla and water. First, combine with a fork or spatula, then use your hands to knead the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, set it in the mixing bowl and place it in your fridge for an hour to chill.
- After chilling, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and roll it between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1/8 inch thick. Super thin cookies will come out crispier after baking. If you prefer a chewier cookie, then roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out shapes using small cookie cutters. The dough is fragile, so I don't recommend using large or highly detailed cookie cutters. If you're having trouble rolling the dough, dust the parchment paper with tapioca flour.
- Place the cut-out cookies on the lined baking pan, then put them in the preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until browned on the bottom**
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- Once all of the cookies have been baked and cooled, melt the dark chocolate. You can use a microwave, or melt the chocolate on the stove top over low heat. One at a time, dip the cookies halfway into the melted chocolate and place them on a lined baking sheet to set.
- Pop the cookies in the fridge or freezer for the chocolate to fully set.
I recommend storing the cookies in the freezer to keep their crispy texture.
*xanthan gum makes the dough easier to roll out and creates a crispier cookie texture, however the recipe works without it too
**baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the dough, how large the cookies are and how cold the cookie dough is. I highly recommend cooking just a few cookies in the first batch to check the bake time
Keywords: coconut flour sugar cookies, coconut flour shortbread cookies, paleo sugar cookies, paleo cutout cookies, paleo vegan sugar cookies, vegan coconut flour cookies, egg free coconut flour cookies, holiday cookies, paleo christmas cookies