This easy Paleo Apple Pie has an almond flour crust, lightly sweetened apple filling and a simple crumb topping - perfect for a healthy holiday dessert.
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples (about 675g)*
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp non-hydrogenated shortening, melted
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
Almond Flour Crust
- 2 + 1/2 cups blanched almond flour, sifted, spooned & leveled (205g)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (61g)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax (12g)**
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (room temperature)
- 3 Tbsp water (room temperature)
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make the Apple Filling: Place sliced apples in a large mixing bowl and coat with lemon and melted shortening. In a small dish, combine the remaining filling ingredients. Sprinkle over the apples and coat using tongs or your hands. Set aside and make the crust.
- Make the Almond Flour Crust: In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the crust: almond flour, tapioca flour, ground flax, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add in shortening and water. Mix with a fork, then use your hands to bring the dough together. Roll into a ball and set aside to make the crumble.
- Make the Crumble Topping: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the crumble: almond flour, ground flax, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add in the shortening and water. Mix with a fork, then use your hands to bring the dough together. Break topping apart into small pieces with your hands. Set aside.
- Assemble the Pie: Grease a 9.5" glass pie pan with shortening. Grab the pie crust and place it in the center of the pie pan. Using your hands, press the crust from the center of the pan to the edges. The crust should be about 1/8-1/4 inches thick and reach up to the top of the pie pan. Place the apple filling on top of the crust, leaving any excess moisture in the bowl. Arrange apples so that they are spread out evenly over the crust, filling in any holes. Place the crumble topping on top of the apples and gently press down.
- Bake the Pie: Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees (keeping pie in oven) and cover the pie with foil. Bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Cool the Pie: After baking, remove the pie from the oven and rest on the countertop for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Best stored in fridge up to one week.
Keywords: apple pie, healthy pie, paleo pie, dessert, vegan, egg free, thanksgiving, christmas