These Grain Free Bagels are Paleo, Vegan and allergy free. They are soft and dense with a real bagel-like texture.
- 4 Tbsp ground flax (28g) + 1/2 cup hot water*
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (room temp)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour (130g)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (60g)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ground flax and 1/2 cup water in a large mixing bow. Stir, then let sit for about 5 minutes so that mixture gels.
- Add coconut oil to flax mixture and stir with a fork until oil is nearly liquid (no big chunks remain).
- In a separate mixing bowl combine coconut flour, arrowroot flour, baking soda, salt and xanthum gum. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture and 1/4 cup warm water to the flax + coconut oil mixture. Mix with fork, then knead dough with hands. (Dough should be slightly sticky, but able to roll into a ball.)
- Knead in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds and sesame seeds. (Note: any of these seeds can be left out or replaced if desired.)
- Separate dough into 4 pieces and roll into balls. With your finger, make a hole in the center of the ball. Form a bagel shape.
- Place bagels on lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
*I used a coffee grinder to grind whole flax seed, rather than buying pre-ground flax. Also, be sure to use hot (not boiling) water so that the coconut oil will melt into the batter.
Keywords: bagel, breakfast, nut free, egg free, vegan, allergy friendly