This healthy applesauce cake is gluten free, low in added sugar and paleo friendly. It's a great cake for a healthy dessert or sweet breakfast.
- 2/3 cup cassava flour (100g)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (14g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup palm shortening, melted (58g)
- 2 Tbsp raw honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup palm shortening, softened
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11x7 inch or 8 inch square baking pan with shortening or butter and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the cassava flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, eggs, shortening, honey and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until well combined.
- Let the batter sit for a couple minutes to thicken (it will be quite thick - more so than a typical cake batter). Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and spread into an even, level layer so that the cake batter touches the edges of the pan.
- Place the cake in your preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until cooked through (toothpick comes out clean).
- After baking, let the cake cool in the pan to room temperature.
- Once the cake is cool, make the frosting by combining all frosting ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth, then spread the frosting over the cake.
For best results, please measure cassava flour and coconut flour by weight.
Keywords: healthy applesauce cake, paleo applesauce cake, gluten free applesauce cake, applesauce cake recipe, low sugar applesauce cake, dairy free applesauce cake