These healthy applesauce donuts are made with cassava flour, baked and only sweetened with applesauce. This baked donut recipe is paleo, gluten free and dairy free.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted palm shortening (or coconut oil or butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cassava flour (70g)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (25g)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating (optional)
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 slots in a donut pan/s with shortening or oil and set aside. (I used avocado oil.)
- Whisk together the wet ingredients for the donuts. This includes the applesauce, eggs, melted shortening and vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. This includes the cassava flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a spatula until well combined. The batter is a bit odd, but it works!
- Pipe the batter into the greased donut pans. I used a plastic baggie to do this, but you can use a piping bag or just scoop the batting into your pan with a spoon or spatula.
- Place the donuts in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- After baking, cool the donuts for 5-10 minutes in the baking pan, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- Combine coconut sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl or plate with with edges. Make sure the bowl/plate is slightly bigger than the donuts.
- Brush the donuts with melted shortening/butter or oil (I used avocado oil).
- Dip the donuts into the cinnamon sugar mixture, coating the tops and sides.
- Store any leftover donuts in a sealed, air-tight container in the fridge. They are best eaten within 3-4 days after baking.
For best results, measure the ingredients by weight (when given)
Keywords: applesauce donuts, paleo applesauce donuts, healthy applesauce donuts, gluten free applesauce donuts, grain free donut recipe, cassava flour donuts, healthy apple donut recipe, no sugar applesauce donuts