These are the best homemade Twix bars! They consist of a grain free shortbread cookie and date-caramel that's coated in dark chocolate. Paleo, Vegan, nut free and no bake.
- 112g tigernut flour (about 1 cup)*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (room temp)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 14 medjool dates (225g pitted)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- For the shortbread cookie: add all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix (first with a fork and then using your hands). Roll dough into a ball and then press into lined baking pan.
- For the caramel: place pitted dates in a microwaveable bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high for 2 minutes** Drain the water and place dates in food processor with coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Blend well, stopping to scrape the sides every so often. Add in coconut flour and blend until mixture has a thick, smooth texture. Scoop the caramel onto the shortbread, then cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Use your hands to push the caramel to the edges of the pan and make a smooth, even layer.
- Freeze for a minimum of 2 hours***
- Chocolate Coating: in a small sauce pan, melt dark chocolate and coconut oil over low heat. Stir frequently. Once chocolate is fully melted, remove bars from freezer and cut into 16 equally sized pieces. Dip the bars (one at a time) into the melted chocolate. Place them on a lined baking sheet to set.
- Optional: drizzle the bars with remaining chocolate and top with a pinch of sea salt.
- Bars can be stored in the fridge or freezer.
*May substitute the tigernut flour for 150g (1 + 1/2 cups) blanched almond flour.
**If you don't have a microwave, simply soak the dates in boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
***Freezing the bars firms up the caramel and shortbread, making them easier to cut and dip into the chocolate.
Keywords: Twix candy bar, homemade twix, vegan twix, paleo twix, paleo candy bar recipe, nut free Twix bars, no bake candy bars, egg free dessert recipes, tigernut flour recipes, date caramel