Healthy, homemade Paleo vanilla cake that's made with almond flour and covered in a dark chocolate frosting. Grain free, gluten free, dairy free, fluffy and moist!
- 3 cups blanched almond flour (240g) sifted, spooned & leveled
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch/flour (58g)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (15g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Paleo baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs (refrigerated)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (126g)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (about 3 oz)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line three 6-inch round pans with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry cake ingredients. This includes the almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. This includes the eggs, almond milk, avocado oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pans.
- Place pans in the oven (middle rack) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes*
- Cool cake in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire cooling rack.
For the Frosting
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a small sauce pan. Melt over the stove top on low heat, stirring every so often.
- Once the chocolate has fully melted, remove frosting from stove top and cool in fridge for about an hour to thicken**
- Frost cooled cake and decorate as desired.
For best results, measure ingredients by weight (when given).
*I have stainless steel baking pans. If using pans made from a different material, the baking time may slightly differ.
**It takes about an hour for the frosting to thicken in the fridge. If the frosting gets too solid, then slightly warm it over the stove top.
Keywords: paleo vanilla cake, paleo birthday cake, paleo cake recipe, gluten free vanilla cake, almond flour cake, chocolate frosting, paleo frosting, six inch cake, healthy dessert recipe