These homemade red velvet cupcakes are made with cooked beets and cassava flour. They are gluten free, grain free, dairy free and nut free - perfect for a healthy paleo dessert.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup pureed beets (120g)*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cassava flour (75g)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (14g)
- 1 Tbsp beet root powder (optional)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder (5g)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut cream**
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with 9 cupcake liners.
- Make the batter: combine the pureed beets, eggs, avocado oil, water and vanilla in a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Add in the remaining cupcake ingredients (cassava flour, coconut flour, beet powder, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt). Stir the batter with a spatula, then process until well combined.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the lined muffins pan. Each cupcake is about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool the cupcakes 3-5 minutes in the baking pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Whisk until smooth***
- Scoop frosting into a plastic baggie, cut a hole on one end and pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
For best results, measure the cassava flour by weight using a kitchen scale.
*I used pre-cooked beets from Love Beets, but you may steam your own until tender. Puree the beets in a food processor or high powered blender.
**just the cream from a can of coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
***If the frosting separates, then warm it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Whisk ingredients together, then place it in the fridge to firm.
Keywords: red velvet cupcakes, homemade red velvet cupcakes, dairy free cupcakes, paleo red velvet cupcakes, easy red velvet cupcakes, naturally colored red velvet cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes with beets, cupcakes made from scratch, paleo cupcake recipes, nut free cupcakes, cassava flour cupcakes