This healthy Mediterranean kale salad is paleo, vegan and whole30 approved. It is fresh, tasty and great topped with my homemade vinaigrette.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (to massage kale)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- Make the salad: rinse the kale, pat it dry and then remove the leaves from the stem. Either shred the kale with your hands or use a sharp knife to cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Massage the kale in olive oil. To do this, drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over the shredded kale. Using your hands, rub the oil onto the kale using pinching and squeezing movements. Do this for about 2 minutes. The kale will have softened and have a nice glean to it.
- Place the kale into a large mixing or serving bowl. Top with chopped vegetables, sliced olive and pumpkin seeds.
- Make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small dish. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over salad.
Serves 4-6 as a side salad
Keywords: kale salad, paleo kale salad, massaged kale salad, Mediterranean kale salad, whole30 kale salad recipe, vegan Mediterranean kale salad