These Mint Chocolate Chia Bars have a soft cookie crust, smooth and minty filling and are topped with a dark chocolate shell. They are Paleo, Vegan and allergy free.
- 50-60 g pitted dates (about 5 medjool dates)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup lightly packed ground chia seeds (25 g)*
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (22 g)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup melted coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring
- 1/4 cup water (or coconut milk)
- 2.5-3 oz dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp peppermint flavoring (optional)
- Optional toppings: sunflower seeds, cacao nibs, bee pollen
- For the crust: put all crust ingredients in food processor and blend until mixture starts to clump.
- Line an 8" x 4" baking pan with foil and firmly press bottom layer into pan.**
- For the filling: Add all ingredients except water to food processor and blend.
- Add in water. Stir with spatula, then blend until mixture is a thick, smooth dough.
- Remove filling from food processor and press on top of crust.
- For topping: melt chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Once fully melted, add peppermint and then spread over middle layer.
- Optional: sprinkle sunflower seeds, cacao nibs and bee pollen on top.
- Place bars in fridge or freezer for at least one hour to set.
- Remove and cut into pieces.
- Store in fridge or freezer.
*If you do not have ground chia seeds, you can grind whole seeds using a coffee grinder. Be sure to grind the chia seeds then measure 1/4 cup afterwards. Ground flax should work in place of ground chia seeds.
**This recipe makes 8 bars but you can easily double it, adding the layers to an 8" x 8" pan and make 16 bars.
Keywords: raw, vegan, allergy free, dessert, nut free, egg free