Healthy mint chocolate ice cream bars made with vegan avocado ice cream and dipped in dark chocolate.
Avocado Ice Cream
- 2 large, unripe avocados*
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup maple syrup**
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint flavoring***
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour (omit for keto)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Avocado Ice Cream
- Remove pit and skin from avocados and slice into cubes. Add them to blender, along with maple syrup, avocado oil, vanilla extract, peppermint and water. Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in tapioca flour and salt. Blend until combined.
- Add in chopped chocolate and blend until just combined.
- Place popsicle molds on a baking sheet and pour ice cream into molds. Add popsicle sticks.
- Freeze overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- Place dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Melt over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grab the ice cream bars from the freezer.
- Remove ice cream bars from molds.
- One at a time, dip the bars into the melted chocolate. Place on lined baking sheet to set.
- Drizzle any remaining chocolate over dipped ice cream bars.
- Eat immediately or store in freezer.
*I recommend unripe for flavor purposes. Ripe avocados will give the ice cream more of an avocado-like flavor.
**Adjust the maple syrup to taste. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 cup will work well. For keto, use a liquid sugar-free sweetener.
***If substituting the peppermint flavoring with peppermint extract you will need to adjust the quantity. Start with a small amount and add more to taste.
Keywords: ice cream bars, paleo ice cream, avocado ice cream, ice cream recipe, mint ice cream, mint chip bars, paleo desserts, summer dessert recipe, vegan ice cream recipe, nut free, no bake dessert