These mint chocolate chip ice cream bars are a delicious way to cool down this summer. They consist of a minty, vegan avocado ice cream that's dipped in dark chocolate. This healthy ice cream bar recipe is dairy free, nut free, vegan and paleo friendly!
It's been so hot this summer! And the best way to cool down is either a smoothie, or healthy homemade ice cream bars. Agreed?
I absolutely LOVE my paleo ice cream bars - that was my very first ice cream recipe on the blog and definitely not the last. These mint chocolate chip ice cream bars are another favorite that I can't wait to share with you.
This recipe took a couple times to nail. But the end result is 100% amazing. Plus, it's made with wholesome ingredients, naturally colored and completely paleo and vegan.
These mint ice cream bars are so refreshing!
They have an avocado mint ice cream filling that's naturally colored (from the avocados, duh), sweetened with maple syrup and so creamy. The bars are frozen and then dipped in dark chocolate, giving this recipe the ultimate crunchy-creamy texture.
Here's what you need to know about these vegan mint ice cream bars:
- paleo & vegan friendly
- nut free - made with avocado
- egg free - no eggs in the ice cream
- dairy free - no milk or cream
- easily made keto - just a few simple ingredient swaps
- no bake - perfect for the summer
This healthy ice cream bar recipe will be on repeat this summer. Truly no better way to cool down!
Ingredients in Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bars
These creamy avocado ice cream bars are made with paleo and vegan ingredients. They consist of a minty avocado ice cream that's frozen and then dipped in dark chocolate. Here's what you need:
Avocado Ice Cream
- large, unripe avocados: you can use ripe avocados, but the ice cream will have a bit of an avocado flavor. This is why I recommend unripe ones - just a day or two before they're ready to eat.
- maple syrup: to sweeten the ice cream. Any liquid sweetener will work as a replacement. For keto, use a low calorie sweetener such as sugar free maple syrup.
- avocado oil: for creaminess. My favorite avocado oil is from Chosen Foods.
- vanilla extract: for flavor
- peppermint flavoring: or peppermint extract. If using an extract you will need to adjust the quantity.
- water: to thin the filling
- tapioca flour: for texture purposes. Omit this ingredient for a keto friendly version.
- salt: to enhance the flavor
- dark chocolate chips: chopped dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate for the "chips" in mint chip ice cream
- dark chocolate: either chocolate chips or chocolate bars
- coconut oil: to thin the chocolate, making it easier to dip the ice cream bars
The chocolate coating is optional, but I love how the crunchy chocolate shell compliments the creamy mint ice cream.
No substitutions have been tested for this recipe. But, if you're looking for another great dairy free ice cream bar recipe, then check out my paleo ice cream bars.
How to Make Vegan Ice Cream Bars
You will need a blender and popsicle molds to make this recipe. I used silicone ice cream molds (each mold makes 4 mini ice cream bars), but any will do.
Make the Avocado Ice Cream
First, make the mint avocado ice cream.
Remove the pit and skin from the avocados and slice them into cubes. Add them to your blender, along with the maple syrup, avocado oil, vanilla extract, peppermint and water.
Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add in the tapioca flour and salt and blend until well mixed. Then, add in the chopped chocolate and blend until just combined.
Scoop the avocado ice cream into the popsicle molds. The number of ice cream bars will vary depending on the size of your molds...I made about 13 ice cream bars.
Place the popsicle sticks into the ice cream bars and set the molds on a flat surface such as a large baking sheet.
Freeze the Ice Cream
Freeze the ice cream overnight, or for a minimum of 5 hours.
Dip the Bars in Chocolate
Next, make the chocolate coating. Place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Melt on the stove top, over low heat, stirring frequently.
Once fully melted, remove from heat and grab the ice cream bars from the freezer.
Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper. One at a time, dip the bars into the melted chocolate. Then, place them on the lined baking sheet to set.
Drizzle any remaining chocolate over the bars.
These paleo vegan ice cream bars need to be stored in the freezer. They are best eaten after a few minutes thawed at room temperature.
More No Bake Desserts
Looking for more easy no-bake dessert recipes? Check out these reader favorites:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Freeze Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 ice cream bars 1x
Healthy mint chocolate ice cream bars made with vegan avocado ice cream and dipped in dark chocolate.
Avocado Ice Cream
- 2 large, unripe avocados*
- ¼ - ⅓ cup maple syrup**
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp peppermint flavoring***
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour (omit for keto)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Avocado Ice Cream
- Remove pit and skin from avocados and slice into cubes. Add them to blender, along with maple syrup, avocado oil, vanilla extract, peppermint and water. Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add in tapioca flour and salt. Blend until combined.
- Add in chopped chocolate and blend until just combined.
- Place popsicle molds on a baking sheet and pour ice cream into molds. Add popsicle sticks.
- Freeze overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- Place dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Melt over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grab the ice cream bars from the freezer.
- Remove ice cream bars from molds.
- One at a time, dip the bars into the melted chocolate. Place on lined baking sheet to set.
- Drizzle any remaining chocolate over dipped ice cream bars.
- Eat immediately or store in freezer.
*I recommend unripe for flavor purposes. Ripe avocados will give the ice cream more of an avocado-like flavor.
**Adjust the maple syrup to taste. Anywhere from ¼ to ⅓ cup will work well. For keto, use a liquid sugar-free sweetener.
***If substituting the peppermint flavoring with peppermint extract you will need to adjust the quantity. Start with a small amount and add more to taste.
Keywords: ice cream bars, paleo ice cream, avocado ice cream, ice cream recipe, mint ice cream, mint chip bars, paleo desserts, summer dessert recipe, vegan ice cream recipe, nut free, no bake dessert
These ice cream bars are AMAZING! The whole family loved them and I hope you all will too.