These paleo lemon poppy seed muffins are made with cassava flour, yogurt and fresh lemon. They are soft, fluffy and delicious - the perfect paleo muffin!
- 1/2 cup cassava flour (70g)*
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (14g)*
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy free yogurt (I used Kitehill almond milk yogurt)**
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp water or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with 8 paper muffin liners, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. This includes the cassava flour, coconut flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients. This includes the yogurt, eggs, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Let the batter sit for 30 seconds - it will fluff up.
- Stir the batter a couple times with a spatula (do not over-mix)*** then scoop it into the lined muffin pan.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the baking pan, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
- In a small dish, combine all glaze ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Spoon glaze onto cooled muffins.
*For best results, measure cassava flour and coconut flour by weight. I recommend Otto's Cassava Flour, as it bakes better than any other brand.
**Any type of yogurt should work. I've tested these muffins with Kitehill's coconut milk yogurt (a great nut free, dairy free option). A grass fed cow's milk yogurt should work well too.
***It is important to let the batter rest a few seconds, then stir it gently with a spatula to get the right texture. The muffins won't bake properly if you skip these steps!
Keywords: lemon poppy seed muffins, paleo lemon muffins, nut free lemon poppy seed muffins, cassava flour muffins, small batch muffins, dairy free lemon muffins, grain free muffin recipe