Healthy, low sugar Strawberry Crumb Bars. This simple strawberry dessert has an almond flour shortbread crust and crumble and a sweet strawberry filling.
Crust & Crumble
- 1 + 1/2 cups blanched almond flour, firmly packed (215g)
- 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 Tbsp monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the Crust & Crumble: Combine almond flour, monk fruit, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix in shortening and vanilla, first with a spatula, then use your hands to knead the dough.
- Separate the dough into two portions: one containing 1/3 of the dough, the other 2/3. Firmly press the 2/3 portion into a lined 8″ x 8″ baking pan. Set aside.
- Make the Filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a small sauce pan. Mix well.
- Set the sauce pan on the stove top and cook on medium heat for 8-12 minutes, stirring frequently. The filling is done when it has reach a thick consistency.
- Assemble: Pour the filling over the crust. Add the crumble on top and lightly press down using your hands.
- Bake: Place the bars in your preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool: Remove from oven and cool to room temperature in pan.
- Serve warm or chill overnight in the fridge**
- Store in fridge or freezer.
*I used frozen strawberries, but fresh will work as well
**Bars cut best after sitting in the fridge overnight
Keywords: strawberry, crumb bars, Paleo, Low Carb, Vegan, egg free