Paleo and Vegan Strawberry Scones made with cassava flour and almond flour. A delicious brunch addition and the perfect way to use up excess strawberries.
- 1 cup cassava flour (128g)
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (95g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening, room temp
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries (70g)
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut cream (optional)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp tapioca flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cassava flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in shortening. Use a fork to combine the shortening and the dry ingredients until the shortening is in small chunks.
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and chop into small pieces. Add the strawberries into the large bowl and mix until fully coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond milk, maple syrup, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the large bowl. First, mix with a spatula, then use your hands to mix the dough. Note: do not over-mix!
- Roll the dough into a ball, then flatten on a parchment-lined baking sheet so that it is in the shape of a disc. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Separate each piece, so that none of the scones are touching. Feel free to use your hands to further shape the dough and round out the edges.
- Optional: melt the coconut cream and brush over the tops of the scones.
- Place the scones in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- While the scones are chilling, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the scones from the fridge and place in the oven. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove scones from the oven, cool 5 minutes on pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
- After cooling to room temperature, make the icing. To do this, pour maple syrup in a small dish. Add the tapioca flour one teaspoon at a time. Mix until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over the scones.
For best results, measure ingredients by weight when given.
Keywords: scones, strawberries, breakfast, brunch, dessert, Paleo, Vegan, egg free, cassava flour, almond flour