Healthy, easy-to-make Paleo bagels. Gluten free, grain free, nut free and dairy free.
- Preaheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water so that the water level is approximately 3 inches deep. Bring water to a boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dried ingredients. This includes: tapioca flour, cassava flour, chopped tomatoes, basil, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Mix.
- Add in the eggs, olive oil and honey. Mix. Then, add in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds shape and can be formed into a ball.
- Separate the dough into four pieces. Mold each piece into the shape of a bagel and set on a lined baking sheet.
- Once the water is boiling, place each bagel into the pot of water. Boil for 1 minute on each side***
- Remove the bagels, draining the water as best as you can, and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Place the bagels in the oven and bake at 425 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Once done, they should be golden brown on top and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Store in air-tight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in fridge up to one week.
*Xanthan gum is optional, but not using it will change the elasticity of the dough and chewiness of the final product
**Add water 1 Tbsp at a time. Depending on the size of the eggs (and accuracy in which you measured the other ingredients) the amount of water needed with slightly vary. The dough should be pliable and easy to roll into balls and shape into bagels.
***The bagels may sink at first, but should float to the top. If they are stuck on the bottom, lift them up using a utensil or spatula.