Healthy vanilla cupcakes made with almond flour and sweetened with coconut sugar. Gluten free, grain free, dairy free and Paleo friendly.
- 1 + 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (140g)*
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour (43g)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the cupcakes: in a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. This includes: almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients. This includes: egg, avocado oil, milk and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into a muffin pan lined with paper liners (recipe makes 9 cupcakes).
- Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 17-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack to room temperature.
- For the frosting: whisk together shortening, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth. Add tapioca flour, one tablespoon at a time, until well mixed. Spread frosting over the cooled cupcakes.
- Cupcakes best stored in the fridge***
*For best results, measure almond flour by weight.
**If your shortening isn’t mixing well, then warm it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds (on high). Warming it just slightly will allow you to easily whisk the ingredients together.
***These cupcakes can be kept at room temperature for a day, but you’ll want to store them in the fridge after that. They last well in the fridge up to one week.
Keywords: cupcakes, almond flour, Paleo, dessert, birthday, vanilla