These healthy vanilla almond flour cupcakes are light, fluffy, moist and have a sweet vanilla flavor. They are made with 10 simple paleo ingredients and are gluten free, grain free and dairy free. There's no better way to celebrate a birthday or special occasion than with this almond flour cupcake recipe!
I find it kinda funny, because I'm a chocolate person through and through. BUT, when it comes to cake, or in this case cupcakes, I prefer vanilla.
I would pick a simple, gluten free vanilla cake with vanilla frosting over any other combo. Anyone else?!
Anyway, it just seemed natural that I add an easy almond flour vanilla cupcake recipe to the blog. I already have one made with tigernut flour (nut free and paleo friendly) and plan to include many more vanilla variations. So, stay tuned!
This cupcake recipe is absolutely amazing in taste and texture. These paleo vanilla cupcakes are moist, delicate, fluffy and literally melt in your mouth.
They are sweet, but not too sweet, and topped with a paleo buttercream frosting.
Healthy Almond Flour Cupcakes
These healthy almond flour cupcakes are perfect for any birthday or fun celebration...or eaten just because. These cupcakes are:
- gluten free and grain free - made with almond flour
- paleo friendly - an excellent paleo cupcake recipe
- dairy free - no butter, no milk
- lower in carbs than your average cupcake
- made with simple, real-food ingredients
- soft, fluffy and moist - no one wants a dry cupcake
I promise, even your non-gluten free family members will love this vanilla almond flour cupcake recipe!
Here are the ingredients you need to make these paleo almond flour cupcakes:
- blanched almond flour
- tapioca flour (or arrowroot)
- coconut sugar
- paleo baking powder
- baking soda
- avocado oil (or olive oil)
- coconut milk (or almond milk)
- vanilla extract
How to Make Almond Flour Cupcakes
To make these gluten free cupcakes, first preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grab a muffin pan (or pans) and place 14 paper liners in the slots, then set aside.
Next, combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. This includes the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. This includes the eggs, avocado oil, coconut milk and vanilla.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until the batter is smooth.
Next, pour the batter into the lined muffin pans, filling each slot about ½ way full. Do not fill the liners to the top, otherwise your cupcakes will sink after baking.
Place the pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden brown on top. They should slightly rise, but will not have rounded tops.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven, cool 5 minutes in the baking pan, then cool on a wire cooling rack.
Once the cupcakes have cooled to room temperature they can be frosted.
How to Make Paleo Buttercream Frosting
You may use any frosting you want, but I used a homemade vanilla buttercream frosting. It's paleo, gluten free and dairy free. Here's what you need:
- non-hydrogenated shortening (I recommend Nutiva shortening)
- powdered monk fruit sweetener
- tapioca flour
- vanilla extract
To make the frosting, simply whisk together all frosting ingredients in a small mixing bow. I do recommend softening the shortening. You don't want it completely melted, but soft enough that it's easy to whisk.
The frosting can be spread over the muffins or piped onto the cupcakes.
Best Paleo Cupcake Toppings
There are many easy cupcake toppings that are both healthy and visually appealing. Here's a list of my favorite paleo cupcake topping ideas:
- edible flowers
- cacao nibs
- mini dark chocolate chips
- dye-free sprinkles (not 100% paleo)
- dried fruit
- fresh fruit: sliced strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, sliced kiwi, cherries
- mint leaves
- paleo granola
- homemade chocolate sauce
How to Store Almond Flour Cupcakes
These cupcakes last well in the fridge up to one week. Simply store in an air-tight container and place in the fridge.
More Paleo Cupcake Recipes
If you love these easy almond flour cupcakes, be sure to check out some of the other cupcake recipes on my blog:
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cassava Flour
- Tigernut Flour Cupcakes
- Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond Flour
These vanilla almond flour cupcakes are healthy, but delicious! They are made with almond flour, sweetened with coconut sugar and completely gluten free, dairy free and paleo friendly.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (190g)
- ½ cup tapioca flour (62g)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan/s with 14 paper cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. This includes: almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients. This includes: eggs, avocado oil, coconut milk and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the lined muffin pan, filling each slot half-way full. Do not over-fill or the cupcakes will sink after baking.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven, cool 5 minutes in the baking pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Whisk together shortening, powdered monk fruit, tapioca flour and vanilla until well mixed.
- Pipe or spread frosting over the cooled cupcakes.
*Warm the shortening in the microwave at 10 second intervals until it is soft (not liquid) and easy to whisk.
These cupcakes can be kept at room temperature for a day, but you'll want to store them in the fridge after that. They last well in the fridge up to one week.
Keywords: vanilla almond flour cupcakes, almond flour cupcake recipe, paleo vanilla cupcakes, paleo almond flour cupcakes, grain free vanilla cupcakes, gluten free cupcake recipe, gluten free dairy free cupcakes, paleo cupcakes, healthy cupcake recipe