Healthy pumpkin scones that are moist, flavorful, super easy to make and perfect for breakfast or dessert. This recipe is Paleo, Vegan and gluten free.
- 1 cup cassava flour (128g)*
- 1 cup blanched almond flour (95g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp Paleo baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the Dough: in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: cassava flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt.
- Add shortening to dry mixture. Mix, using a fork, until the shortening is in small clumps.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry mixture. Mix with a spatula, then use your hand to work the dough. Mix until just combined - do not over-mix!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into a ball, flatten on the baking pan, then shape into a disk. Cut the disk into 8 even pieces (like you're cutting a pizza). Separate each piece so that they are not touching.
- Bake the Scones: place the scones in the oven and bake at 375 degrees for 17-18 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Make the Icing: combine monk fruit and almond milk in a small dish. Add in tapioca flour until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle icing over cooled scones. Optional: top with pumpkin spice and pumpkin seeds.
*For best results, measure cassava flour by weight