Healthy grain free, gluten free, nut free, yeast free and dairy free bagels made with tapioca flour and cassava flour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. (Water should be around 3-4 inches deep.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tapioca flour, cassava flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Mix in eggs, shortening and honey first using a fork, then with your hands.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time** until dough holds together and can be rolled into a ball.
- Separate dough into four balls. Shape each ball into a bagel.
- Place bagels in boiling water and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove bagels from water and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Coat the bagels with an egg white wash (optional)***
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.
*Flax or chia eggs may be used in place of the eggs. 1 flax/chia egg = 1 tablespoon ground flax/chia + 3 tablespoon water. If making this substitution, you will need additional water to reach the proper dough consistency.
**Add water as needed. Start with one tablespoon and add more if necessary.
***To make an egg white wash, whisk together one egg white and 1 tablespoon water.
Keywords: bagel, nut free, Paleo, breakfast, cassava flour