This easy paleo biscotti recipe is made with cassava flour and dipped in white chocolate. Gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free!
- 1 cup cassava flour (140g)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (32g)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (56g)
- 1 tsp paleo baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (48g), room temp*
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- egg wash: 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water, whisked
- 3/4 cup paleo white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cassava flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix in the shortening until it is in small chunks. It won't be thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white and vanilla extract. Pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture and mix first with a spatula, then with your hands. The dough may appear too dry at first, but keep mixing and kneading with your hands until you can form the dough into a ball.
- Press the dough onto the lined baking sheet and mold it into a flat, rectangular shape. It will be about 8 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Coat the top of the biscotti with the egg wash, using either a brush or your hands.
- Place the biscotti in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven and cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the biscotti into 8 equal pieces, each about 1 inch wide.
- Flip the biscotti pieces on their side. You'll bake them for 16 more minutes, flipping half way through. (So, 8 minutes on each side.)
- After baking, cool the biscotti to room temperature.
- Melt the white chocolate in a small sauce pan, over low heat (or in the microwave at 20-30 second intervals). Dip each biscotti half way into the chocolate. I suggest pouring the melted chocolate into a slender cup to make dipping easier, but it's not required.
- Set the dipped biscotti back on the lined baking sheet. Place the biscotti in the fridge or freezer to harden the chocolate. If you have leftover chocolate, you can double dip the biscotti for a thicker coating (I did).
- Store biscotti in a sealed container, up to 3 days at room temperature, 1 week in the fridge, or 1 month in the freezer.
*To keep my recipes dairy free, I like using Nutiva's non-hydrogenated shortening. It is made from organic coconut oil and palm fruit oil and has a very neutral flavor. Grass-fed butter or another vegan butter should work as an alternative.
Keywords: paleo biscotti recipe, easy paleo biscotti, healthy paleo biscotti, vanilla biscotti recipe, gluten free biscotti recipe, cassava flour biscotti, grain free biscotti recipe, nut free paleo biscotti