These Gluten Free Hazelnut Cookies are made with hazelnut flour and studded with dark chocolate chips. They have a moist, gooey center and take only 8 ingredients to make. This hazelnut cookie recipe is Paleo, Keto and ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.
I've been meaning to create a hazelnut flour recipe for quite some time and finally got around to it. Hint: these healthy hazelnut cookies 😉
See, I've had a bag of Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour sitting in my fridge for nearly a year! My original thought was a hazelnut bread or muffin recipe, but then the holidays came around and cookies felt like a must. Everyone loves a cookie!
I may be slightly biased, but this is the BEST gluten free hazelnut cookie recipe because these cookies are:
- easy to make (less than 10 ingredients and finished in under 20 minutes)
- Paleo and Keto friendly
- Thick with a gooey center
- Taste incredible (always a must)
These Paleo hazelnut cookies are made with hazelnut flour, but they can also be made with ground hazelnuts. Meaning, you can process hazelnuts in a food processor to make homemade hazelnut flour.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Hazelnut Cookies
This healthy hazelnut Christmas cookie recipe is Paleo friendly and easily made keto depending on the type of sugar/sweetener and chocolate chips you use.
Here's what you need:
- hazelnut flour: either buy hazelnut flour or make your own by processing whole, raw hazelnuts.
- coconut sugar: to sweeten the cookies. Use monk fruit sweetener for keto.
- baking soda: to make the cookies rise
- salt: enhances the flavor
- almond butter: or substitute with your favorite nut/seed butter such as cashew butter
- egg: this recipe has not been tested with an egg substitute
- vanilla extract: for flavor
- dark chocolate chips: use your favorite brand of dark chocolate chips. My personal favorite are Pascha 100% dark chocolate chips (paleo and keto friendly).
What is hazelnut flour?
I used Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour to make these cookies. It is made from whole, raw hazelnuts that have been ground into a flour. It's slightly coarser than almond flour, but bakes in a similar way.
Hazelnut flour is great for nearly any diet. It is gluten free, grain free, paleo, vegan and keto friendly.
Is hazelnut flour gluten free?
Yes! Hazelnut flour is gluten free. In fact, Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour is made in a dedicated gluten free facility and tests batches for contamination.
How can I make my own hazelnut flour?
To make your own hazelnut flour simply pour 2-3 cups of raw hazelnuts in a food processor or high powered blender. Blend until the hazelnuts resemble a coarse flour, similar to almond flour.
Does hazelnut flour go bad?
Yes, hazelnut flour does have an expiration date. If you buy it from the store the date will be given on the bag. To make your flour last longer, store it in the fridge. This will prolong the life, keeping the hazelnut flour fresh and less prone to going rancid.
How to Make Gluten Free Hazelnut Flour Cookies
It take just 5 minutes to make the dough and 10 minutes for these gluten free hazelnut cookies to bake. Simple, easy and perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth!
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, combine all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the: hazelnut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt.
Add in the almond butter, egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
Lastly, fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Grab a baking sheet and a large cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons in size) and scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. This recipe makes 8-9 large hazelnut cookies, each about 2 tablespoons of dough.
Then, place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven, cool a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
How to Store Hazelnut Cookies
These flourless hazelnut cookies are best stored in the freezer, but they can also be kept at room temperature or in the fridge. Keep them in an air tight container for the following days:
- room temperature: 2-3 days
- fridge: 1 week
- freezer: 1 month
More Paleo Holiday Cookie Recipes
For more easy, Paleo and gluten free cookie recipes check out these reader favorites:
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Tigernut Flour Sugar Cookies
- Cassava Flour Sugar Cookies
- Paleo Snickerdoodles
- Healthy Gingersnap Cookies
Healthy, gluten free hazelnut cookies made with hazelnut flour and studded with chocolate chips. Paleo, keto, gluten free and easy to make.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine hazelnut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in the almond butter, egg and vanilla. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Grab a baking sheet and a large cookie scoop and scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. (This recipe makes 8-9 large cookies, each about 2 tablespoons of dough.)
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Keywords: hazelnut flour, hazelnut cookies, Paleo cookies, Keto, chocolate chip, dessert, easy, holiday baking