These Gluten Free Hazelnut Cookies are made with hazelnut flour and studded with dark chocolate chips. They have a moist, gooey center and take only 8 ingredients to make. This healthy cookie recipe is Paleo, Keto and ready to eat in less than 20 minutes.
I've been meaning to create a hazelnut flour recipe for quite some time and finally got around to it. Hint: these healthy hazelnut cookies 😉
See, I've had a bag of hazelnut flour sitting in my fridge for nearly a year! My original thought was a hazelnut bread or muffins, but then the holidays came around and cookies felt like a must. Everyone loves a cookie!
I may be slightly biased, but this is the best gluten free hazelnut cookie recipe because these cookies are:
- easy to make (less than 10 ingredients and finished in under 20 minutes)
- Paleo and Keto friendly
- Thick with a gooey center
- Taste incredible (always a must)
These Paleo hazelnut cookies are made with hazelnut flour, but they can also be made with ground hazelnuts. Meaning, you can process hazelnuts in a food processor to make homemade hazelnut flour.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Hazelnut Cookies
This healthy hazelnut Christmas cookie recipe is Paleo friendly and easily made keto depending on the type of sugar/sweetener and chocolate chips you use.
Here's what you need:
- hazelnut flour
- coconut sugar (monk fruit sweetener for keto)
- baking soda
- almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- vanilla extract
- dark chocolate chips
I used Bob's Red Mill hazelnut flour to make these cookies. However, homemade hazelnut flour will work too. To make homemade hazelnut flour, place 2-3 cups hazelnuts in a food processor and blend to a flour. The texture will be slightly courser than most almond flours.
I used coconut sugar in this recipe, but monk fruit sweetener is a great Keto friendly option.
Any type of nut or seed butter can be used in place of the almond butter. In fact, a chocolate hazelnut butter would be wonderful in these cookies, just be sure to use one that is made with Paleo friendly ingredients.
I have not tested this recipe without an egg. An egg replacer may work, but will probably change the cookie texture a little. If you make these hazelnut cookies egg free, then I'd love to know how they turn out (leave a message in the comment section below).
How to Make Gluten Free Hazelnut Flour Cookies
It take just 5 minutes to make the dough and 10 minutes for these cookies to bake. Simple, easy and perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth!
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, combine all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the: hazelnut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt.
Add in the almond butter, egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
Lastly, fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Grab a baking sheet and a large cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons in size) and scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. This recipe makes 8-9 large cookies, each about 2 tablespoons of dough.
Then, place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven, cool a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
How to Store Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Paleo hazelnut cookies are best stored in the freezer, but they can also be kept at room temperature or in the fridge. Keep them in an air tight container for the following days:
- room temperature: 2-3 days
- fridge: 1 week
- freezer: 1 month
More Paleo Holiday Cookie Recipes
For more easy, Paleo and gluten free cookie recipes check out these reader favorites:
- Chocolate Chip Tahini Cookies
- Tigernut Flour Sugar Cookies
- Cassava Flour Sugar Cookies
- Paleo Snickerdoodles
- Healthy Gingersnap Cookies
Healthy, gluten free hazelnut cookies made with hazelnut flour and studded with chocolate chips. Paleo, keto, gluten free and easy to make.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine hazelnut flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add in the almond butter, egg and vanilla. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Grab a baking sheet and a large cookie scoop and scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. (This recipe makes 8-9 large cookies, each about 2 tablespoons of dough.)
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool a couple minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Keywords: hazelnut flour, hazelnut cookies, Paleo cookies, Keto, chocolate chip, dessert, easy, holiday baking