This shaved brussels sprouts salad is crisp and colorful with a lovely balance of flavors. It's made with shaved brussels sprouts and green cabbage, topped with pomegranate seeds and candied nuts, then drizzled with a simple mustard vinaigrette. This healthy brussels salad is paleo friendly, gluten free and dairy free.
I typically prefer my brussels sprouts cooked, but this shaved brussels sprouts salad is one of my favorites and it uses raw brussels sprouts.
This paleo brussels salad is made with shaved brussels sprouts and green cabbage, then topped with pomegranate seeds and candied nuts for an extra crunch. And lastly, drizzled in a simple mustard vinaigrette.
While brussels sprouts can be bitter, the toppings and dressing cut the bitterness, making this a delicious, flavorful salad.
This healthy brussels sprouts salad is paleo friendly, gluten free and dairy free. You can even make it vegan by swapping the honey in the dressing for maple syrup.
Here's a list of what you need to make this recipe for shaved brussels sprouts salad:
Shaved Brussels Salad
- shaved brussels sprouts
- green cabbage
- red onion
- pomegranate seeds
- candied nuts
- green onion
- pumpkin seeds
- olive oil
- honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- chili powder
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- honey (maple syrup for vegan)
I made my own small batch of candied nuts, which was the perfect quantity for this salad recipe. However, feel free to use any other candied nut recipe, or simply toast the nuts or keep them raw. Whatever you prefer. Personally, I like the flavor the candied nuts add to the salad.
How to Shave Brussels Sprouts
- Cheese Grater - I used a cheese grater to shred my brussels sprouts. Simply shred the sprouts, one at a time by running them along the cheese grater. This gives you really finely shredded brussels spouts.
- Knife - carefully use a sharp knife to cut the brussels sprouts as thin as possible.
- Mandolin - slice the brussels sprouts using the thinnest setting on a mandolin.
- Food Processor - place the slicing attachment on your food processor, add the brussels sprouts and pulse until they are shredded
Any one of the above options will work well for this recipe. I just happened to use a cheese grater to finely shred the brussels.
How to Make Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
This shredded brussels sprouts salad is easy to make, but does take a little prep!
- Make the candied nuts - cook them on the stove top, then let them cool on a lined baking sheet
- Prep the veggies
- Make the dressing - combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small, lidded container and shake
- Make the salad - combine all of the salad ingredients, top with the homemade mustard vinaigrette and toss
Can this Salad Be Made in Advance?
Yes, you can prepare the salad and the dressing up to two days in advance. Don't add the dressing to the salad until a hour or two before you're ready to serve (or just before serving).
This brussels sprouts salad is best stored in a sealed container in the fridge. Leftovers taste great and are best eaten within 3 days.
More Salad Recipes You'll Love:Print
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad (with Mustard Vinaigrette)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: serves 6-8 1x
This shaved brussels sprouts salad is made with shredded brussels sprouts and green cabbage, then topped with a homemade mustard vinaigrette.
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ Tbsp raw honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rosemary, crushed
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mustard (I used spicy brown)
- ½ Tbsp honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- 18-20 brussels sprouts, thinly shredded
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about ¼ head)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- about ¾ cup candied nuts
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Place the pecans and pumpkin seeds on a small frying pan and set heat to medium-low.
- Drizzle olive oil and honey over the nuts, and stir a wooden spoon or spatula until the honey has completely melted and the nuts are well coated.
- Sprinkle the rosemary, salt and chili powder over the nuts, mixing again to coat.
- Let the nuts cook, stirring every so often. Keep a close eye on them so they don't burn, but the cook time takes about 8 minutes (on medium-low heat).
- Remove the nuts from the frying pan and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or large plate to cool. As the nuts cool, they will crisp up.
- Grab a small, lidded jar and combine all dressing ingredients. Place the lid on the jar and shake to combine.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the shredded brussels sprouts and cabbage. Mix well.
- Top with remaining salad ingredients.
- Drizzle with mustard vinaigrette.
If you like a lot of salad dressing, or plan to let guests add their own dressing to their portion of the salad, then I recommend doubling the mustard vinaigrette recipe.
This salad can be prepped up to two days in advance. Don't add the dressing until an hour or two before serving.
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge, up to 3 days.
Keywords: brussels sprouts salad, shaved brussels sprouts salad, paleo brussels sprouts salad, healthy salad recipe, shredded brussels sprouts salad, vegan brussels sprouts salad, brussels sprouts salad with mustard vinaigrette
This salad is my favorite around the winter months. Enjoy!