This beet salad recipe is made with cooked beets, arugula and toasted walnuts. It's a great side dish or light dinner option. This healthy beet salad is paleo, vegan and whole30 approved.
I remember the first time I tried beets as a kid I was pleasantly surprised by their sweet, earthy flavor. They immediately won me over!
Now, I can only eat so many at a time. I find a small dose to be just enough. BUT, I do love them and try to eat them frequently as I know how beneficial they are for overall health.
This beet salad recipe is one of the many ways I enjoy cooked beets. This salad consists of a bed of arugula topped with microgreens, beets, toasted walnuts, onion and fresh basil. It's drizzled with a simple homemade dressing that really brings all the flavors together.
I love this recipe for beet salad because it has a nice balance of bitter, sweet and tangy. It has all the right textures, flavors and colors for a healthy side salad.
Healthy Beet Salad
Here's what you need to know about this beet salad with greens:
- paleo, vegan and whole30 approved
- quick and easy to make - a simple beet salad
- dairy free - no cheese, although you can add it if you wish
- no added sugar - none of the ingredients or dressing have sugar added
- heart healthy - nourishing and delicious
Here's what you need to make this vegan beet salad:
- arugula - feel free to substitute the arugula for your favorite leafy greens
- cooked beets - I used Love Beets pre-cooked beets but you can cook your own by either steaming them or roasting them in the oven until tender.
- walnuts - I used my toasted rosemary walnuts, but you can use raw walnuts if you prefer
- microgreens - optional, but added for additional micronutrients
- red onion
- fresh basil
- dressing: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard
The cooked beets provide a slight sweetness in contrast to the bitter greens and earthy walnuts. Topped with the tangy dressing, this salad has all the right flavors and textures, making this the best beet salad recipe.
How to Make a Beet Salad
All you have to do to make this salad is prepare the ingredients, combine them in a salad bowl and top them with the dressing.
First, prepare the ingredients. Cube the cooked beets, slice the onions, and chop the basil.
Place the arugula and microgreens in a large salad bowl. Then, top with the beets, onion, walnuts, and basil.
In a small dish, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix with a pair of salad tongs or serving utensils.
This salad will serve 4-6 people, depending on how large a serving each individual needs. It's great as a side salad, or topped with protein for a full meal.
Unfortunately, this salad does not store well. You can prep the ingredients ahead of time, but this beet salad should not be assembled and dressed until you're ready to eat.
More Topping Options
- toasted nuts/seeds - slivered almonds, pistachios, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- fruits - pear, apple, strawberries
- feta or goat cheese - great if you aren't dairy free
- proteins - chicken, beef, salmon, etc.
- shredded or peeled carrots
- sliced avocado
- veggies - cucumber, celery, cabbage, radishes, tomatoes
- dried fruits - cranberries, raisins
More Healthy Salad RecipesPrint
This healthy beet salad recipe is made with fresh arugula, cooked beets and toasted walnuts. It's paleo, vegan and whole30 approved!
- 3-4 cups arugula
- 1 cup microgreens
- 4 small cooked beets, cubed (about 1 cup cubed)*
- ½ cup rosemary toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Prepare salad toppings: cube cooked beets, thinly slice onion, chop basil.
- Place the arugula and microgreens in a large salad bowl. Top with beets, walnuts, onion and basil.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small dish.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Toss with salad tongs or serving utensils until well mixed.
- Serve immediately.
*I used Love Beets pre-cooked beets, which makes prep work easier. However, feel free to cook your own beets by either steaming them in a steamer pot or baking them in the oven.
Keywords: simple beet salad, healthy beet salad, beet salad recipe, arugula beet salad, walnut beet salad, paleo beet salad, vegan beet salad, whole30 beet salad