This blueberry hemp smoothie is made with frozen blueberries and hemp seeds. It's thick and creamy, only sweetened with fruit and packed with protein. This smoothie makes for an excellent breakfast or snack and is kid approved.
I go through phases where I make smoothies for breakfast or lunch. I love them because they're quick to make and easy to pack full of nutrients.
My main goals when making a smoothie are to add plenty of fat and protein, and of course make them taste great! Fat and protein keep you satiated and help maintain steady blood sugar levels. Plus, they provide great vitamins and minerals, essential for proper brain function.
Which is exactly is why I love this healthy blueberry hemp smoothie! This hemp breakfast smoothie has the perfect combination of carbs, fat and protein. There's no added sugar, yet it tastes amazing.
Why You'll Love This Blueberry Hemp Smoothie
- healthy and satiating - made with a good balance of carbs, fat and protein
- kid friendly - my kids all love eating this smoothie as a part of breakfast or an afternoon snack
- paleo friendly - no questionable ingredients, just real food
- dairy free - this blueberry smoothie is made without yogurt and without milk
- no sugar added - sweetened with fruit
Here's a list of what you need to make this blueberry hemp seed smoothie:
- blueberries (fresh or frozen, but I used frozen)
- ripe banana (yellow with brown spots)
- hemp seeds
- coconut milk (or any milk)
- vanilla extract (optional)
- collagen peptides (optional)
I used frozen blueberries and a ripe banana to sweeten this smoothie. There's no need for any added sugar, but if you want it sweeter then add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup.
The hemp seeds, avocado and coconut milk are great sources of healthy fat and protein. They help to thicken the smoothie and add a plethora of essential vitamins and minerals.
Collagen peptides are optional, but I love adding them to smoothies for a boost in protein. The collagen also thickens the smoothie, making it ultra creamy! You can omit this ingredient or swap it for your favorite protein powder.
How to Make a Smoothie with Blueberries and Hemp Seed
This blueberry hemp smoothie is made in a blender and ready to eat in minutes. All you have to do is add the ingredients to the blender and blend!
I recommend adding the ingredients in the order listed on the recipe card. I find that adding the collagen first will cause it to stick to the blender, so you'll have better success adding it last.
When blending, start the blender at a low speed and gradually increase the speed until the smoothie is smooth and consistent. If necessary, stop a few times to scrape down the sides and then blend again.
There are so many great smoothie toppings to choose from. Here are some paleo smoothie toppings that I frequently use:
- bee pollen
- hemp seeds
- extra dark chocolate chips
- flaked coconut
- almonds or walnuts
- goji berries
- banana chips
- paleo granola
- cacao nibs
Place any leftover smoothie in the fridge and eat within the next day. Or, store the smoothie in a covered container in the freezer, for up to two weeks. If frozen, let the smoothie thaw 10-15 minutes before eating.
More Paleo Smoothie RecipesPrint
This blueberry hemp smoothie is thick and creamy, with a great balance of fat, carbs and protein. It's perfect any time of day and kids love it!
- 1 heaping cup frozen blueberries
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ large avocado
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup coconut milk (or any milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup collagen peptides (omit for vegan)*
- Add all ingredients to your blender, in the order listed.
- Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed until the smoothie is creamy and consistent in texture.
- Pour into 1-2 glasses, add favorite topping and enjoy!
*Feel free to add your favorite protein powder in place of the collagen