If you haven’t invested in a food processor, then I highly recommend doing so. (THIS is the one I have, which I LOVE.) Food processors make baking and cooking from scratch so much easier and you have the ability to create a lot more too. For instance, these Paleo friendly Carrot Cake Crackers.
These grain free crackers have a delicious carrot-cake like flavor, are subtly sweet and are free of: grains, gluten, dairy, eggs, refined sugar and soy. They are great for satisfying that between-meal hunger, especially for kids and nursing moms (like me ;)).
Healthy Carrot Crackers
There a plenty of crackers out on the market. However, it’s not easy to find a healthy cracker in-store that’s grain free, Paleo friendly and contains hidden vegetables.
Thankfully, homemade crackers are possible, easy and even less expensive than those you can buy at your local grocery store.
These Paleo and Vegan carrot crackers are make with simple, healthy, real food ingredients. They contain carrots (obviously), nuts, seeds, cassava flour and are only sweetened with raisins.
How to Make Carrot Cake Crackers
If you have a food processor, this recipe is not only possible, but extremely easy! Really, all that needs to be done is throw the ingredients in a food processor and let it blend.
The dough is rolled between two sheets of parchment paper. Since the cracker dough is sticky, this ensures that it won’t stick to the surface you’re rolling on. Next, the crackers are cut using a knife or pizza cutter. And finally, you place the crackers in the oven to bake.
You could even make these carrot crackers in the dehydrator, but the oven is much faster. Drying time will vary by dehydrator. However, I would recommend drying them on a high setting for at least 3 hours.
What to Eat with Gluten Free Carrot Crackers
Crackers are always great on their own. Yeah? But, they’re also great for dipping! These Vegan Carrot Cake Crackers are wonderful with both sweet and savory dips. For instance, try pairing them with guacamole or cream cheese. Or, dip them in nut butter or homemade frosting for a real treat.
How to Store Vegan Carrot Cake Crackers
I suggest letting these nutritious crackers cool completely before placing them in a storage container – any moisture will make the crackers a bit chewy and harder to eat. You can store these in a plastic bag or any tightly sealed container and these crackers should last up to a week in your pantry.
Grain free Carrot Cake Crackers made with carrots, nuts, seeds, raisins and cassava flour. Great for a healthy, kid friendly snack.
- 1 medium sized carrot (65g)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp water (if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash, peel and slice carrot into about 1/2-inch “coins”.
- Add carrot, walnuts, raisins, and sunflower seeds to food processor. Blend well, stopping to scrape the edges every so often.
- Add in cassava flour, cinnamon and salt to mixture. Blend well.
- If needed, add water. Dough should form a ball in the food processor (looks a bit like play dough).
- Remove dough from food processor and flatten between two sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll dough until it’s about about 1/8″-1/4″ thick.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper and cut cracker dough into 2″ squares. Transfer cut crackers (on parchment) to baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on the middle rack of your oven and bake crackers at 350 deg for 15 minutes.
- Remove crackers from oven and flip. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until done*
- Cool crackers to room temperature on wire cooling rack. Store in air-tight container for up to one week.
*Baking time will vary slightly depending on cracker thickness and size
Keywords: carrot, crackers, snack, vegan, no added sugar, egg free