Remember Teddy Grahams? Gosh, I loved those things as a kid. But these easy, Grain Free Graham Crackers are even better than the Teddy Grahams and graham crackers I remember. These mini Paleo graham crackers are a great kid-friendly alternative to what you can find in stores. They are grain free, gluten free, egg free, sweetened with dates and honey and cook in minutes.
Did you ever wonder why graham crackers are called "crackers"?
I mean, they're far more similar to a cookie than a cracker...
It's my guess that they were named crackers instead of cookies to trick parents into buying them for their kids. Since, most parents feel that crackers are perfectly healthy while cookies are a treat. You think?
However, looking at a box of store bought graham crackers, the ingredients are anything but healthy. Even many of the gluten free brands contain a long list of ingredients, added thickeners and preservatives.
But not these Paleo Teddy Grahams. This recipe is made with simple, real food ingredients. Including: shredded coconut, raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, dates, honey, cinnamon and salt. A healthy graham cracker option for kids (and adults) that has a slightly chewy texture and delicious cinnamon flavor!
Before I write any further, I have to apologize for these Teddy Grahams being more like Animal Grahams...I don't have a bear cookie cutter but I have LOTS of miniature animal ones. But, for the sake of SEO and people being able to find my recipe online, I'm calling these Teddy Grahams.
With that said (whew, huge weight off my shoulders), let's get back to these Paleo Teddy Grahams and why they're so great 😉
This gluten free Teddy Grahams Recipe is:
- naturally gluten free and grain free (made with nuts and seeds)
- egg free
- dairy free
- perfect for snacking - kid friendly
- chewy, not dry and crumbly
These homemade graham crackers are also easy to make. Even easier to eat - my kids absolutely love them!
How to Make Paleo Teddy Grahams
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, combine all the ingredients except the tapioca flour and water in a food processor. Blend the mixture a few minutes, until it has a coarse, grainy texture.
Next, add the tapioca flour. Blend about a minute more.
Add in the water and blend until the mixture starts to clump. You'll know the dough is ready when it can be pressed together and hold its shape (see photos below).
Note: the dough IS oily. However, it is easy to roll and cut out.
Next, form the dough into a ball and flatten it onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cover the dough with another sheet of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the teddy graham dough between the parchment until it reaches about ⅛" thick.
Remove the top layer of parchment and cut out shapes for the graham crackers. Place the shapes on a lined baking sheet. This can be done by using miniature cookie cutters, or simply cutting the crackers into square shapes with a knife or pizza cutter.
Bake the crackers in the oven at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Baking time will depend on the shape, size and thickness of the crackers.
Lastly, remove the crackers from the oven. Cool them 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
How to Store Paleo Teddy Grahams
These crackers can be stored at room temperature, in the fridge or even in the freezer. Keep them in a sealed, air-tight container at room temperature for up to one week, 2 weeks in the fridge and a month in the freezer.
More Paleo Snack Recipes
Looking for more easy Paleo friendly snack recipes and ideas? Take a look at these blog posts:
- Easy Paleo Snacks
- Cranberry Apple Energy Balls
- Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Banana Protein Balls
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Crackers
Simple, grain free Paleo Teddy Grahams. Perfect for snacking and loved by kids and adults.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine almonds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, dates, honey, cinnamon and salt. Blend until mixture becomes a coarse, grainy dough.
- Add in the tapioca flour and blend again for another minute or so.
- Add in the water and blend the mixture for another minutes. You will know the dough is ready when you can remove it from the food processor and press it together to form a ball.
- Form the dough into a ball and press it onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough between the parchment to about ⅛" thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment and cut out shapes using miniature cookie cutters. Place the cut out cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake them for 6-8 minutes*
- Remove from oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then, transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack.
*Baking time will vary slightly depending on cracker shape, size and thickness.
Keywords: crackers, cookies, kid friendly, dairy free, egg free, snack, teddy grahams, grain free graham crackers, paleo snacks