These healthy zucchini fritters are gluten free, paleo friendly and unsweetened. They're great for a healthy breakfast or side dish and super easy to make. These savory fritters are made with zucchini and onions, fresh herbs and cassava flour.
Oooh, I'm excited to share these healthy zucchini fritters with you all!
I feel like they're different from any other recipe on my blog. But really, they're just like a savory zucchini pancake...and I have a lot of pancake recipes on my website!
Anyway, I absolutely love these paleo zucchini fritters and have decided that this is how I'm going to use up all the excess zucchini that my garden produces.
These zucchini cakes are made with fresh zucchini and cassava flour, completely unsweetened and so full of flavor. This is a recipe you'll want to enjoy again and again!
Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Okay, so here's the low-down on this zucchini cakes recipe:
- paleo friendly - perfect for those trying to stick to a grain free and dairy free diet
- gluten free - these zucchini fritters are made with cassava flour, which is gluten free, grain free and even nut free
- dairy free - zucchini fritters without cheese
- no sugar added - this is a savory recipe and completely unsweetened
- vegetarian - these are vegetarian zucchini fritters, as they do not contain any meat
- easy to make - simply combine the ingredients and cook on a frying pan
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe for zucchini cakes:
For the zucchini, you'll need to shred it (I like to use a cheese grater) and squeeze out as much of the water as you can. You can either pat it with paper towels or squeeze out the water using cheese cloth or a nut milk bag.
I used red onions in these paleo zucchini cakes, but any variety will work. Also, freshly pressed garlic and chopped basil is preferred, but feel free to substitute with dried ingredients if that's all you have on hand.
While I have only tested this zucchini fritters recipe with cassava flour, a gluten free or all-purpose flour (not paleo) should work as a substitute.
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Fritters
These gluten free zucchini fritters are super easy to make!
First, prepare the vegetables. Shred the zucchini and squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. I used paper towels to do this, but a nut milk bag or cheese cloth will also work.
Finely chop the onion and basil and press the garlic.
Next, combine the shredded zucchini, chopped onion, garlic, basil and eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
Mix in the cassava flour, salt and pepper using a spatula.
Heat Frying Pan
Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add the avocado oil. I like to use my ceramic Caraway pan for this recipe, as it's both non-stick and non-toxic.
Once hot, cook the fritters.
Cook Zucchini Fritters
Use a large cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons per cake) to scoop the batter. Flatten and shape the batter with your hands so that the zucchini cake is in a pancake-like shape.
Then, place the cake on the preheated frying pan. (I cooked 3-4 fritters at a time.)
Cook each cake for about 3-4 minutes on each side, then cool slightly and enjoy!
These easy zucchini fritters are great on their own or eaten with your favorite dipping sauce. I love eating them with a honey-mustard sauce or balsamic glaze.
Store any leftover zucchini fritters in an air-tight glass container. Reheat in the microwave, air fryer, oven or back on the stove top. (They DO taste good re-heated!)
These paleo fritters are best eaten within 3-4 days.
More Healthy Zucchini RecipesPrint
These healthy zucchini fritters are gluten free and paleo friendly. They are perfect for breakfast or eaten as a side dish to any meal!
- Combine zucchini, onion, garlic, basil and eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Mix in cassava flour, salt and pepper.
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and add avocado oil.
- Once the pan is hot, shape the fritters and cook them on the frying pan. To do this: use a large cookie scoop (2 tablespoons in size) to scoop the batter and then shape it into a small pancake using your hands. Place the fritter on the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve.
*115 grams with water removed
Keywords: healthy zucchini fritters, savory fritters recipe, paleo zucchini fritters, easy zucchini fritters, vegetarian zucchini fritters, healthy breakfast recipe, healthy lunch ideas, allergy friendly meals, cassava flour fritters