This chocolate chip ice cream recipe is creamy, delicious and easy to make. It is gluten free, dairy free, has no eggs and is refined sugar free (sweetened with dates). It's the perfect homemade ice cream to make this summer.
I've had this idea for chocolate chip ice cream sitting on my to-do list since last summer! Finally, I got around to creating this paleo ice cream recipe and I'm so glad I did.
This homemade chocolate chip ice cream is thick and creamy, made with 5 simple ingredients and churned in an ice cream maker. Also, unlike some dairy free ice cream recipes, this one freezes well! It doesn't get hard and icy, but keeps a fairly soft and smooth texture.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
Here's why you'll love this chocolate chip ice cream:
- 5 ingredients: made with just a handful of real-food ingredients
- paleo and vegan friendly
- dairy free: chocolate chip ice cream made without cream and without milk
- egg free: no eggs are used in this ice cream recipe
- gluten free
- easy to make: simply blend the ingredients and then churn in an ice cream maker
Here's a list of what you need to make this vegan chocolate chip ice cream:
- dates - I used medjool dates, but any variety will work (just be sure to measure by weight if using another variety)
- Sunbutter - aka sunflower seed butter. Unsweetened Sunbutter is ideal for this recipe, but any brand will work.
- coconut cream - you will need the cream and the milk from a can of coconut cream, or full fat coconut milk.
- vanilla extract
- salt (optional)
- miniature chocolate chips - I used 100% dark chocolate chips, but any variety will work. Just be sure they're dairy free if you want to keep this ice cream recipe paleo, vegan and dairy free. Chopped large chocolate chips or a chocolate bar will also work as a replacement.
This ice cream recipe is made with Sunbutter and dates to give it a caramel like flavor. Although you can use another nut/seed butter, I recommend sunflower seed butter.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
To make this paleo chocolate chip ice cream, you'll need a food processor or high powered blender and an ice cream maker. I used my Cuisinart food processor and Cuisinart ice cream maker.
First, soak the dates in boiling water. This softens the dates and makes for a creamier ice cream. So, boil a pot of water. Place the dates in a small ceramic bowl and then pour the boiling water over the dates so that they are fully submerged. Allow them to soak for 5-10 minutes.
Drain the water from the dates, removing as much of the moisture as possible. I used a paper towel to help squeeze out excess water.
Then, place the dates and the Sunbutter in the food processor and blend until well mixed. See the first photo below for what this should look like.
Next, add in the canned coconut cream (use the whole can), vanilla and salt. Mix until just combined. Over-mixing can result in the coconut cream separating. There will be small chunks of dates left in the mixture, but it will not affect the texture.
Place the ice cream mixture into the insulated freezer bowl of the ice cream maker. Add the mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. Then, place the mixing paddle in the bowl, place the lid on top, plug in the ice cream maker and then turn it on to start churning.
Churn the ice cream for 15-20 minutes.
After churning, the ice cream has a soft-serve like consistency. You may eat as-is or scoop the ice cream into a small loaf pan and freeze. I think this ice cream is best eaten after an hour in the freezer.
Store any leftovers in the freezer. Cover with foil or bees wax wrap.
When ready to eat, defrost the ice cream for 10-20 minutes then enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of chocolate chips are best for ice cream?
Miniature chocolate chips are best for ice cream. I used Pascha 100% dark mini chips, but any variety will work.
Another option is to use regular sized chocolate chips, chunks or a chocolate bar. Just chop them prior to adding them to the ice cream mixture. Or, blend them into the ice cream mixture in your food processor until they are in small chunks.
How long do you churn ice cream in a Cuisinart?
This recipe only requires 15-20 minutes of churning. Some recipes will require more time, it just depends on the ingredients in the ice cream recipe.
Is chocolate chip ice cream gluten free?
Most chocolate chip ice creams are gluten free, but always look at the list of ingredients to be sure. This homemade chocolate chip ice cream recipe is gluten free.
More Healthy Frozen Dessert RecipesPrint
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe (No Eggs)
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This chocolate chip ice cream recipe has no eggs and is made in a Cuisinart ice cream maker. It is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and refined sugar free (sweetened with dates).
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted (125g)
- ⅓ cup Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter)
- 13.5 oz can of coconut cream (or full fat coconut milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup miniature chocolate chips (or finely chopped chocolate)
- Boil a pot of water. Place pitted dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them so that they are fully submerged. Soak the dates for 5-10 minutes.
- Drain as much of the water as possible from the dates (I used a paper towel to try and soak up any excess water). Place the dates and the Sunbutter in a food processor or high powered blender and blend until well combined.
- Add coconut cream, vanilla and salt to the date mixture and blend until well mixed. There will be small pieces of dates left in the mixture, but this will not affect the texture.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, along with the miniature chocolate chips.
- Churn ice cream for 15-20 minutes.
- Eat as-is or freeze for 1-2 hours and then enjoy.
This recipe is made using a Cuisinart ice cream maker. Before making your ice cream, be sure the double insulated freezer bowl has been placed in the freezer for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
This chocolate chip ice cream recipe freezes well. It does not get super hard and icy, but stays fairly soft like "regular" ice cream. I recommend storing leftovers in the freezer up to one month. Prior to eating, defrost the ice cream 10-20 minutes.
Keywords: chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate chip ice cream no egg, dairy free ice cream recipe, healthy ice cream recipe, date ice cream recipe, sunbutter ice cream, paleo ice cream recipe, paleo chocolate chip ice cream, vegan chocolate chip ice cream
I love this chocolate chip ice cream and hope you all do too! Enjoy!