These healthy applesauce zucchini muffins are made with buckwheat flour and only sweetened with applesauce. This is a small batch zucchini muffin recipe that's perfect for babies and toddlers, as it's free of top allergens (gluten free, dairy free, nut free, egg free and vegan).
Not only have a been on a buckwheat flour kick lately, but I've been making it a point to add more "hidden" veggies to my baked goods.
This way, I feel good about the muffins, pancakes and breads my kids are eating. I know they're getting in a few extra veggies they otherwise wouldn't touch (i.e. zucchini).
Furthermore, these applesauce zucchini muffins are free of added sugar! This healthy buckwheat muffin recipe is only sweetened with applesauce and free from top allergens, making them a great muffin for babies and toddlers.
Buckwheat Muffin Highlights
- gluten free, vegan and paleo friendly
- free from top allergens - healthy muffins for babies and toddlers
- small batch and miniature in size
- no added sugar - only sweetened with applesauce
- one bowl recipe - super easy to make
- healthy - no gut irritating wheat flour, no vegetable oils and no refined sugar
Here's what you need to make these applesauce zucchini muffins:
- shredded zucchini
- avocado oil
- vanilla extract
- apple cider vinegar
- buckwheat flour
- coconut flour
- baking soda
Adding a little oil helps with the texture of the muffins. I like using avocado oil since it is neutral in flavor, full of healthy fats (great for growing brains), and remains stable at high heat. The best alternatives would be melted coconut oil or a flavorless olive oil. Please do NOT use canola - canola oil is rancid, ultra processed and unstable in the body, which causes inflammation.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps these muffins rise, giving them a little extra fluff and better texture. You can't taste it.
Gluten Free Flours
This is a buckwheat muffin recipe and no other type of flour has been tested. The best substitution would probably be a gluten free flour blend. Also, the coconut flour is necessary for texture purposes.
How to Make Applesauce Zucchini Muffins
These vegan apple zucchini muffins are made in one bowl, baked in a mini muffin pan and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
Here's what you need to do:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, combine the wet ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the shredded zucchini, applesauce, avocado oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar. I used a cheese grater to shred the zucchini.
Next, add in the dry ingredients. This includes the buckwheat flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Mix with a spatula until well combined. The batter will be thick.
Use a large cookie scoop to scoop the batter into a miniature silicone muffin pan.
Place the muffins in your preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 17-18 minutes.
After baking, remove the muffins from the oven and cool them for 10 minutes in the baking pan before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
Store these apple buckwheat muffins in an air-tight container in the fridge, for up to one week.
More Toddler Muffin RecipesPrint
These small batch applesauce zucchini muffins are made with buckwheat flour and sweetened with applesauce. They're great for babies and toddlers and free from top allergens.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine shredded zucchini, applesauce, avocado oil, vanilla extract and apple sauce.
- Add in buckwheat flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop (2 Tbsp in size) scoop the batter into a miniature silicone muffin pan.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 17-18 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven and cool for 10 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.