This healthy Paleo Pasta Salad is made with grain free cassava noodles, tossed with fresh vegetables and Kalamata olives and drizzled in a lemon and olive oil dressing. It is a delicious Greek pasta salad recipe, perfect for summer barbecues and family dinners.
I've been working on my collection of Paleo salad recipes, as summer is nearly here and salads are a summertime must!
Plus, since discovering Jovial Foods cassava flour pasta, I knew I needed to create some Paleo pasta dishes.
This was the perfect opportunity to create both a salad and a pasta recipe. And boy am I glad that I did! This is the BEST grain free pasta salad.
This easy Paleo pasta salad is:
- Light and summery thanks to the fresh summer vegetables and a simple lemon dressing
- Grain free and gluten free - made with cassava flour noodles
- Vegan and vegetarian - no eggs, no dairy, no meat
- Easy to make - only takes a few simple steps
- Can be made ahead of time - stores well in the fridge
This Paleo Vegan pasta salad recipe is sure to be a summertime favorite - perfect for family dinners or barbeques with friends.
Ingredients in Paleo Pasta Salad
Here's a list of what you need to make this paleo vegan pasta salad:
- Grain free pasta: I used Jovial Foods penne pasta. It is made from organic cassava flour and water.
- Red pepper
- Cucumber: I used Persian cucumbers, but any variety will work
- Kalamata olives
- Shallot: or red onion
- Fresh Basil
The salad is tossed in a light lemon and olive oil dressing. However, an Italian or balsamic dressing would taste great as well.
Here's what you need for the dressing:
- Olive oil: preferably organic, extra virgin, cold pressed and unrefined
- Lemon juice
- Garlic granules
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Ground pepper
How to Make Paleo Pasta Salad
This gluten free pasta salad recipe is so easy to make! It's truly a time-saver when it comes to family dinners, friendly barbecues or hosting a weekend cookout because this salad can be prepped ahead of time and stores well in the fridge.
Cook the Pasta
First, prepare the pasta by cooking it according to the box instructions. I used Jovial Foods cassava pasta, which cooks best for 8 minutes in a pot of boiling water. After cooking, drain the water from the pasta and rinse it under cold water. After rinsing, drain any excess water by letting it stand in a strainer for a few minutes.
Combine Salad Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta and all of the toppings. This includes the red pepper, cucumber, olives, shallot and basil.
Make the Dressing
Next, making the dressing. Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small dish and mix until well combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
You can serve this pasta salad immediately, or cover it and store it in the fridge to serve later.
How to Store Pasta Salad
This healthy pasta salad recipe is best kept in a sealed, air-tight container in the fridge. It will last up to a week, but is best eaten within a few days.
More Easy Summertime Recipes
This healthy Paleo pasta salad is the perfect summer side dish. Paleo, grain free, vegan and tossed in a lemon and olive oil dressing.
- 1 box cooked cassava penne pasta (8oz)*
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup sliced cucumber (I used Persian cucumbers)
- ⅓ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped shallot (or red onion)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ - ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. This includes the cooked pasta, red pepper, cucumber, olives, shallot and basil.
- Make the dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until well coated.
- Serve immediately, or cover and store in the fridge.
*Any pasta will work. Cassava pasta is the best Paleo option. Cook the pasta according to the box instructions, rinse with cold water and drain before using.
Keywords: side dish, pasta salad, cassava pasta, grain free pasta, paleo sides, lunch ideas, paleo dinner, egg free, vegan, vegetarian, nut free, summer salad