Summer will be here before I know it; the temperatures have already started creeping up and when that happens I tend to use my oven less and less. I created these Almond Ice Cream Bars as a dessert for my family and I think we all agreed that these are an excellent warm weather treat.
These bars are no-bake, Paleo friendly and sweetened with honey. They have an almond shortbread crust, almond butter and coconut cream filling and coconut butter drizzle.
The coconut butter topping and sprinkle of cinnamon is optional, but gives these bars a more polished, complete look. (I mean, they look a bit naked without it!) You could also drizzle with chocolate.
Almond Ice Cream Bars
- 1 ½ Cup blanched almond flour (firmly packed)
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil (room temp)
- 1 Tbsp honey*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ Cup coconut cream
- ¼ Cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1 Tbsp honey*
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut butter (melted)
- In medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for crust. Mash with a fork until the coconut oil is in small chunks, then use hands to knead dough.
- Press crust into an 8" x 8" square pan and set aside.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a small saucepan. Place on stove top and melt on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Once filling is fully melted, remove from heat and pour over base.
- Place in freezer overnight to set.
- Remove from freezer, cut, drizzle with coconut butter and dust with cinnamon, then serve immediately.
- Store in freezer.
Recipe Makes 16 bars
*May substitute maple syrup
To make these Vegan, you may substitute the honey with maple syrup or another liquid sweetener of your choice. Do you have a favorite summertime dessert?