These soft paleo sugar cookies are made with almond flour, coconut flour and sweetened with a mixture of coconut sugar and maple syrup. This easy paleo cookie recipe is vegan friendly (no eggs or dairy) and has the perfect soft, chewy texture.
I've made these gluten free vegan sugar cookies countless times and everyone always loves them! No one ever guesses that they're paleo and vegan friendly.
Top them with your favorite icing and sprinkles or eat them as is. Either way, you can't go wrong because these sugar cookies are a total crowd pleaser!
- paleo & vegan friendly - perfect for those with dietary restrictions
- grain free & gluten free - made with almond flour and coconut flour
- egg free - just a little ground flax to help bind the ingredients
- dairy free - no milk or butter
- less than 10 ingredients
These easy Paleo sugar cookies are great for holiday parties or just enjoying as a dessert throughout the week. The recipe makes 9 large cookies or 18 mini and can easily be doubled to serve more.
Here's a list of what you need to make these cookies:
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- ground flax (I grind whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder)
- Paleo baking powder
- non-hydrogenated shortening (I like Nutiva's)
- maple syrup
- coconut sugar
- vanilla extract
No recipe substitutions have been tested, so I don't have any ingredient swaps to recommend. But if you make a substitution I'd love to know how it turns out in the comments below.
How to Make Soft Paleo Sugar Cookies
These vegan almond flour sugar cookies are super easy to make and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! Here's what you need to do:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the Cookie Dough
Next, make the cookie dough. In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together shortening, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract.
Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a spatula until the dough is well combined.
Next, scoop the cookie dough onto a lined baking sheet. I used a large cookie scoop (2 Tbsp per cookie), but you can make these cookies bite-sized if you prefer. A large scoop will make about 9 cookies, and a small 18.
Slightly flatten the cookies with a spatula. (They cookies don't rise a lot, so flatten them to the shape you want.)
Bake the Cookies
Next, place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. They should be golden brown on the bottom when they are done cooking. (If you make the cookies 1 Tbsp in size, then decrease the bake time to 8-10 minutes.)
Cool the Cookies
Remove the cookies from the oven and cool them for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and cool them to room temperature.
You can frost these healthy sugar cookies if you wish, or eat them as-is. I added a simple glaze made of powdered monk fruit, tapioca flour and almond milk. Take a look at my zucchini breakfast cookies for the glaze recipe.
How to Store Cookies
These paleo sugar cookies are best kept at room temperature for a few days, in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer up to one month. Keep them in an air-tight container or baggie.
More Paleo Vegan Cookie Recipes
Looking for more easy paleo vegan cookie recipes? Here are a few reader favorites:
- Homemade Tagalong Cookies
- Paleo Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
These soft paleo sugar cookies are chewy and delicious! Made with almond flour and coconut flour and completely paleo and vegan friendly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together shortening, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a spatula until well combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop* (2 Tbsp per cookie) to scoop the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheet. Slightly flatten with a spatula.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool on baking pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled, eat as-is or top with your favorite frosting or icing**
*May make bite-sized cookies (1 Tbsp per cookie) and lower the bake time to 8-10 minutes.
**I glazed these with the icing from my zucchini breakfast cookie recipe.
Keywords: sugar cookies, paleo cookies, vegan sugar cookies, soft sugar cookies, paleo dessert recipe, egg free cookies, christmas cookies, almond flour sugar cookies