These protein chocolate chip cookies are gluten free and dairy free, made with pea protein and perfect for a healthy dessert. This low carb protein cookie recipe is so good, you'll never guess it contains protein powder.
If you've followed my blog for a while, you know I love trying new protein powders - collagen too! Recently, I tried a variety of Nuzest's clean lean protein powders and was instantly sold. Every single flavor is off the charts amazing!
My favorite, the Nuzest vanilla pea protein, was used in these protein chocolate chip cookies. This pea protein provides a moist texture and sweet vanilla cookie taste.
These low carb protein cookies have a lot of great qualities. They are:
- gluten free & grain free - made with pea protein and almond flour
- dairy free - no butter, no whey protein
- soy free
- refined sugar free - sweetened with coconut sugar
- low carb - these are the best low carb protein cookies
- easy to make and delicious - no one will guess they contain protein powder
These are literally the BEST protein chocolate chip cookies. Even my oldest son (who isn't fond of protein powder in recipes) loves these cookies.
These chocolate chip cookies with protein powder are made with a few simple ingredients. Here's what you need:
- Non-hydrogenated shortening (or butter)
- coconut sugar (or monk fruit sweetener)
- vanilla extract
- Pea Protein Powder
- blanched almond flour
- baking soda
- dark chocolate chips
If you aren't dairy-free, then substituting the shortening for grass fed butter will produce similar results. However, non-hydrogenated shortening (I use Nutiva) is an excellent dairy free butter alternative. It contains healthy fats and bakes really well! Whatever you do, please don't substitute with traditional shortening like Crisco. The ingredients in Crisco are absolutely terrible!
I used coconut sugar in these healthy protein cookies, but it can be substituted with any granulated sugar. Monk fruit sweetener would be my top alternative.
If you are looking for an egg-free option, using a flax or chia egg will most likely work. However, please know that I have not tried these substitutions and the texture and taste may slightly vary if you aren't using real eggs.
As far as the protein powder goes, most plant based protein powders should work in place of the one I used. However, this recipe has only been tested with Nuzest's pea protein.
I used Nuzest vanilla pea protein powder because their protein is made entirely of European grown and processed Golden Peas; which are easily digestible and allergy friendly. Plus, their protein doesn't include any nasty additives, preservatives or flavorings.
These cookies have only been tested with almond flour. However, tigernut flour or ground sunflower seed may work for a nut-free version. Just be aware that I have not tried this substitution myself so cannot guarantee results.
How to Make Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
These vanilla protein powder cookies are extremely easy and quick to make - no chilling the dough required!
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the shortening and coconut sugar. Once well combined, add in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the almond flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt. Lastly, fold the chocolate chips into the dough.
Use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a baking sheet. Each cookie should be one rounded tablespoon of dough, making 12-14 cookies.
Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
Then, remove the cookies from the oven, cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
These low carb protein cookies are best stored in the fridge or freezer. Personally, I LOVE them straight out of the freezer with a glass of almond milk 🙂
Place the cookies in an air tight container or baggie in the fridge for up to one week or the freezer up to one month.
More Low Carb Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Protein Cookies
- Collagen Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Collagen Cookies
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
These healthy protein chocolate chip cookies are made with almond flour and pea protein. They're gluten free, dairy free and low carb!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine shortening and coconut sugar. Mix well.
- Add in egg and vanilla, mix.
- Add in almond flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- Scoop cookie dough (1 rounded tablespoon per cookie) onto baking sheet. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Best stored in fridge or freezer.
*No other protein powders have been tested. Use my affiliate discount code "bakeitpaleo" for 15% off any Nuzest purchase.
Keywords: protein cookies, chocolate chip, nuzest, dessert, pea protein, low carb cookies, vanilla protein, healthy dessert recipes