This homemade banana ice cream is thick, creamy and made in an ice cream maker. It's egg free, dairy free and fruit sweetened, making it a great paleo friendly ice cream.
I've learned to LOVE my Cuisinart ice cream maker this summer!
Now, I've had this ice cream maker for years, just never put it to good use. But these last few months I made it my mission to create my own paleo ice cream recipes - everything from dairy free chocolate ice cream to chocolate chip and now banana ice cream.
I've had so much fun experimenting with new flavors and ingredients. Plus, I've come to realize that there is no better ice cream than homemade. Eating ice cream right after it's been churned is THE BEST! The texture is silky smooth and creamy.
About this homemade banana ice cream... It's made with ripe bananas, coconut cream and dates. I added collagen for a nutritional boost and to up the protein content, but this ingredient is optional.
Here's what you need to know:
Homemade Banana Ice Cream
- paleo friendly: gluten free, dairy free, no refined sugar or vegetable oils
- dairy free: made without milk or cream and instead uses coconut cream
- fruit sweetened: this banana ice cream recipe has no added sugar. It's sweetened with bananas and dates
- egg free: this is a no egg banana ice cream
- made in an ice cream maker: using an ice cream maker ensures a smooth, creamy texture
- freezes well: does not get icy and rock hard after freezing. You can freeze it overnight and then scoop right when you're ready to eat.
Here's a list of what you need for this simple homemade banana ice cream:
- ripe bananas - yellow with brown spots
- dates - I used organic Medjool dates but any variety will work
- coconut cream - just the cream from a can of full fat coconut milk
- collagen - optional but recommended for texture purposes and to increase the protein content.
- cinnamon (optional)
- vanilla extract
Just a note on the collagen: the collagen I use is from Ancient Nutrition and It does contain egg. So, if you are unable to consume eggs, then select a different collagen (like Vital Proteins or Perfect Supplements).
How to Make Banana Ice Cream
This banana ice cream is made in a Vitamix or high-powered blender, then churned in an ice cream maker. I own a Cuisinart ice cream maker, but any brand will work.
Soak the Dates
First, soak the dates in boiling water to soften them up. This makes them easier to blend and creates a creamier ice cream.
To soak the dates, remove the pits and place the dates in a ceramic bowl or mug. Boil a pot of water, then pour the water over the dates so that they are fully submerged.
Let the dates sit for 5-10 minutes, then drain as much of the water as possible.
Blend Ice Cream
Next, place all of the ice cream ingredients in your Vitamix or high-powered blender. Blend, starting at a low speed and gradually increasing the speed until the ice cream is smooth.
There will still be some small specks of date - you won't notice them once the ice cream has been churned.
Churn in Ice Cream Maker
Pour the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. This recipe for banana ice cream takes about 25-30 minutes to churn.
When done, the texture will be smooth and creamy, with a consistency similar to soft serve ice cream.
Remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and place it in a small loaf pan. Or, eat it immediately.
This healthy banana ice cream needs to be stored in the freezer. Place it in a small loaf pan and cover with foil or bees wax wrap.
When ready to eat, remove the ice cream from the freezer and scoop! It does not get rock-solid or icy when frozen, so you can enjoy it immediately.
Healthy Banana Ice Cream Toppings
I love topping homemade paleo ice cream with melted chocolate or a dairy free syrup. Even some coconut whipped cream and a few dye-free sprinkles or dark chocolate chips make for great toppings.
Here are a list of healthy banana ice cream topping ideas:
- melted dark chocolate
- coconut whipped cream
- homemade caramel or chocolate syrup
- dye-free sprinkles
- dark chocolate chips
- chopped nuts or seeds
- flaked coconut
- homemade granola
More Healthy Frozen desserts
Looking for more healthy frozen dessert recipes? Check out these reader favorites:Print
Soak the Dates
- Remove the pits from the dates and place the dates in a ceramic bowl or mug. Boil a pot of water, then pour the water over the dates so that they are fully submerged.
- Let the dates sit for 5-10 minutes, then drain as much of the water as possible.
Blend Ice Cream
- Place all of the ice cream ingredients in your Vitamix or high-powered blender. Blend, starting at a low speed and gradually increasing the speed until the ice cream is smooth.
Churn in Ice Cream Maker
- Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 minutes. When done, the texture will be smooth and creamy, with a consistency similar to soft serve ice cream.
- Remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and place it in a small loaf pan to freeze. Or, eat it immediately.
*Just the cream from a can of full fat coconut milk. If the cream is not separated from the milk, then place the can in the fridge overnight.
Keywords: banana ice cream, egg free banana ice cream paleo banana ice cream, dairy free banana ice cream, healthy banana ice cream, healthy ice cream recipe, vegan ice cream, collagen ice cream