This healthy chocolate chip banana bread recipe is made with almond flour, only sweetened with bananas and loaded with extra dark chocolate chips. This is the perfect paleo chocolate chip bread for snacking, eaten as a breakfast side or enjoyed for dessert.
To those who think chocolate chip banana bread can't be healthy...let me prove you wrong!
This paleo banana bread is made with almond flour, only sweetened with bananas and loaded with 100% dark miniature chocolate chips. Meaning, this banana bread is actually healthy since it isn't loaded with sugar, refined grains or vegetable oils.
Here's what you need to know:
- paleo: this banana bread is made with paleo friendly ingredients
- grain free and gluten free: made with a combination of almond flour and tapioca flour for a deliciously moist, dense loaf
- low sugar: this chocolate chip banana bread is low sugar since it is only sweetened with bananas and the chocolate chips are sugar free
- dairy free: no milk or butter is used in this recipe
- moist: no one likes a dry banana bread!
My kids loved this loaf too. Needless to say, this is a kid friendly chocolate chip banana bread. In fact, it's something the whole family can enjoy around the breakfast table, as a quick snack or topped with coconut cream for dessert.
Here's what you need to make this almond flour chocolate chip banana bread:
- mashed banana
- large eggs
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
- blanched almond flour
- tapioca flour
- baking soda
- miniature chocolate chips (I used 100% dark chocolate)
This list of ingredients doesn't include the toppings, as those are completely optional and added more for looks than anything. However, if you want the chocolate topping you'll need more dark chocolate chips (70-85% dark), coconut oil and tahini.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This is a one-bowl banana bread recipe! So, you'll need a large mixing bowl, whisk, spatula, lined 8" x 4" loaf pan and the necessary ingredients. For a video on how this bread is made, check out my reel on Instagram.
Here's what you need to do:
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8"x 4" baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the Batter
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. This includes the mashed banana, eggs, olive oil and vanilla.
Add in the dry ingredients (almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt) and whisk until the batter is smooth, consistent texture.
Then, fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
Bake the Bread
Pour the batter into a lined baking dish and place the loaf in your preheated oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Cool the Bread
Lastly, remove the chocolate chip bread from the oven. Cool it for 10 minutes in the baking dish, then transfer it to a wire cooling rack.
I decorated this loaf with a chocolate glaze, fresh fruit, chocolate chips and bee pollen. The glaze is made from a mixture of melted chocolate (85% dark) and tahini.
You may choose to add these toppings or keep the loaf as-is.
Keep this banana bread in a sealed, air-tight container in the fridge. It will last well up to one week.
For longer storage, slice the loaf and keep it in the freezer. When ready to eat, defrost a slice at room temperature or warm it either in the microwave or oven.
More Paleo Banana Bread RecipesPrint
This chocolate chip banana bread is made with almond flour and low in sugar. It's great for snacking, an easy breakfast side or healthy dessert.
- 1 cup mashed banana (245g)
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (180g)
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour (42g)
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ - ½ miniature chocolate chips (I used 100% dark chocolate)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (I used 85% dark)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8" x 4" baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together mashed banana, eggs, olive oil and vanilla.
- Add in almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in baking dish, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small sauce pan over low heat.
- Once fully melted, remove from heat and mix in tahini. Cool slightly then pour over cooled loaf.
Keywords: chocolate chip banana bread, paleo banana bread, almond flour banana bread, low sugar banana bread recipe, homemade banana bread