These healthy vanilla protein waffles are low carb, dairy free, grain free and Paleo friendly. Furthermore, this simple waffle recipe is just 5 ingredients. These are the best fluffy waffles - light, crisp and great with any toppings.
I haven't pulled out my mini waffle maker in quite some time. But wanting some crisp Paleo waffles, I finally did and it resulted these healthy vanilla protein waffles.
Now, I didn't get the recipe quite right the first time I tried them. But after a few minor tweaks these waffles were perfect!
These miniature waffles are:
- Light, crisp and airy
- Paleo friendly (grain free, dairy free)
- Made with pea protein (I use Nuzest)
- No added sugar - but you can add a little if you want
- Only require 5 ingredients
This single serving protein waffle recipe is one that I'll come back to again and again. I love that they don't use any added sugar, making them a healthy breakfast option. Plus, they're high in protein giving you fuel to last all morning long.
Ingredients in Vanilla Protein Waffles
These easy vanilla protein waffles require just 5 ingredients.
- vanilla pea protein (I recommend Nuzest)
- blanched almond flour (tigernut flour for a nut-free option)
- Paleo baking powder
- egg (no egg substitutes have been tested)
- dairy free yogurt (I used Kitehill coconut milk yogurt)
- vanilla extract (optional)
- water (if needed to thin the batter)
The vanilla extract is optional, but adds a little extra flavor. In addition, you may add a tablespoon or two of sweetener (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, monk fruit...) if you prefer.
I have only used Nuzest pea protein to make these fluffy protein waffles. Pea protein is SUPER absorbent. A whey protein will give you quite different results and I cannot say whether or not this recipe will work with it.
These low carb waffles have only been tested with an egg. If you use an egg substitute I would love to know the results in the comments.
This recipe has been tested with Kitehill's dairy free coconut milk yogurt and grass-fed cow's milk yogurt. Both of these yogurts work great and I'm sure many other brands will as well. If the yogurt you use is really thick, just thin the batter with a little water.
How to Make Protein Waffles
The batter for these healthy vanilla protein waffles is made in one bowl and baked in a miniature waffle iron. Here's what you need to do:
First, preheat your mini waffle iron by plugging it into the wall. Also, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. (This is optional, but will keep your waffles crisp.)
Next, combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. This includes the pea protein, almond flour and baking powder.
Then, whisk in the wet ingredients. This includes the egg, yogurt and vanilla. If the batter is super thick, add a little water to thin it out.
Pour about 2 heaping tablespoons per waffle onto the hot waffle iron. Cook until done.
Next, place the waffle on a wire cooling rack and pop it in the oven (at 200 degrees).
Repeat these steps until all of the waffles are cooked. Then, top the waffles with your favorite sweet or savory toppings and eat!
How to Keep Waffles Crisp
No one wants a soggy waffle! Right?
To keep your waffles crisp, preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. After each waffle is done cooking, place it on a wire cooling rack in the oven (at 200 degrees). This doesn't continue cooking the waffles, but instead helps them remain crisp and fluffy.
More Paleo Recipes using Protein Powder
If you like these paleo protein powder waffles, you may like some of these other recipes from the blog:
- Dark Chocolate Protein Bars
- Vegan Banana Protein Bread
- Cookie Dough Smoothie
- Vanilla Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
Healthy vanilla protein waffles that are light, crisp and fluffy - perfect for a low carb Paleo breakfast.
- Preheat miniature waffle iron. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F**
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. This includes the pea protein, almond flour and baking powder.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients. This includes the egg, yogurt and vanilla. Mix in water if necessary.
- Pour 2 heaping tablespoons of batter onto the mini waffle iron. Cook until done.
- Place waffle on wire cooling rack and warm in the oven at 200 deg.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 until no more batter is remaining (recipe makes 4-5 waffles).
- Remove waffles from oven, add favorite toppings and eat!
This recipe has only been tested with Nuzest pea protein, which is super absorbent. Other protein powders may not work. Use the code "BAKEITPALEO" for a discount on any Nuzest purchase.
No egg substitutes have been tested
*I used Kitehill Blissful Creamy Coconut Milk Yogurt (plain, unsweetened)
**Placing the waffles in the oven after they have been cooked will keep them fluffy and crisp
Keywords: protein waffles, vanilla waffles, paleo waffles, paleo breakfast, 5 ingredient, easy recipes, low carb, keto